Chapter 21: A minute

"Yo!" was heard as the door of the hospital room swung open and Marv, Rev, Kelly and Chen came in, followed by Leyla. Rubio sat up in bed, but his excitement was inevitable when the last female entered the room.

The rowdy teenagers came with their hands full. Marv came with a small box of chocolate candies, as well and Rev and Chen. Kelly and Leyla each came with a stuffed animal.

The teenagers approached the patient, greeted him and handed him their gifts. In the mist of everything the adults stepped back and watched the kids interact.

"I'm glad you're back, Marv" Rubio said as the leader stood at the foot of the bed

"Yeah"  the others repeated nodding their heads. Leyla and Kelly stood to Rubio's left and the other two boys to his right. 

"Yo" Marv called to order as he separated from the group and stood at the foot of the bed. He pinched his lips, shot a look at Hondo, then bowed his head. "I gotta say something to y'all." he raised his head and took a long silent look at each kid, "I'm sorry bout stepping... without telling y'all. My homeboy Cliff got jumped by the same gang that popped Jay and I just- I went blind, man. I just want em to pay. But...I gots myself in jail. Man, I 'ont wanna be another statistic. Like, that ain't me. You feel me?"

"Yeah" the others repeated nodding their heads slowly.

"So, if y'all still wanna do this, we on for training and sh*t?"

"Yeah!" the others repeated nodding their heads.

"Aight, man." Marv said as the other boys approached with fist pumps

"Now we can be together, I mean after Rubio recovers." Chen added, gesturing to Rubio's cast

"I'ma be ok" he said staring at Leyla and smiling

"Man, I heard you climb a tree to help a little kid. That true?" Rev asked

Rubio turned to him and nodded quietly.

"Hold up! Hold up! I've been out for 1 minute and you go all Tarzan on us?" he was interrupted by the kids' loud laughter "Man, what the hell u doing up in a damn tree, Rubio?" he was paused again as the others laughed, "Man...it's like...what?"

"I saved a kid!" Rubio snapped

"So, you mean to tell me, ya ass was up in a tree when you had two sarges and one trained officer to do that job? Was you thinking for real, Rubio?" Marv asked pointing to the SWAT officers

"He doesn't think!" Leyla said between laughs. Now even the officers were laughing.

"Yeah!" the others repeated nodding their heads.

"What the hell? See, now, man, this right here is wrong! I go back one second, like...for real one second, and y'all go crazy!" Marv complained as the other giggled

"I mean, like...you walked out!" Rev clarified

"Aight, I know. I'd be tripping and I owe y'all. For real. I know what I did was wrong. Took some time for myself. Diss y'all. I get it. I get it! It's my bad. I'ma be a man and I gonna admit I was tripping. I thought I could do this on my own, but I can't. Not without my people. You is my real people. They'd be bangers that want yo ass locked up with no damn future. It aint gonna go down like that for me, for sho! But, um...y'all got my respect. So...we good?"

"Yeah" the others repeated nodding their heads.

"And...Rev? dawg? You cross ya arms and said no thank you? Whats up with that?" Marv complained. The group stared at Rev, as the Swat officers stared at Deacon.