Chapter 11: New lead

"What are you doing?" Deacon heard a voice call behind him. It was Rev!

"Man! I can't risk him being one of 'em crooked cops!" answered the person behind him. That voice was familiar. Deacon knew he had heard it before!

"Marv, c'mon man!" Rev complained

"Aight, aight' he said as Deacon felt the gun being pulled off his back

"Can I turn around now?" he asked, as he placed his arms down, getting to his feet

"Man! Stop trippin' " Rev complained to Marv, as he approached Deacon. He made it to the front and extended his hand to the officer. "Sergeant?"

Deacon nodded his head and shook the young man's hand.

After the parties greeted, they settled down and came off the roof. Both boys followed Deacon as he invited them for a sandwich in the cafe. After getting their meal, the three sat in the farthest booth in the corner. They began eating quietly, so Deacon took out his cellphone and sent an important text.

"So, what were you planning to do with that gun?" Deacon asked staring at Marv

The boy shook his head, and dropped his sandwich. "Listen, man-"

"Sergeant" Deacon interrupted, frowning at the teenager

"Aight, sergeant." he paused mocking Deacon, "I just spent hours on a damn holding cell. I aint afraid of pulling the trigger on no one."

"What happened?"

"I'm black! That's what happened."

There was an awkward moment of silence.

"Why did you text me? Why did you want to meet?" Deacon asked curiously

Marv turned an angry look towards Rev, who took a deep breath. "Coz he was locked up." he said

"Psst, man! I can handle myself, dawg!" he complained shaking his head

"Yeah, that time in a cell really proved it, huh?" Deacon said skeptically

The door of the cafe swung open and an angry Hondo came in, wearing a knee brace and a sling to hold his left arm. He moved gingerly, as he was clearly coming from receiving medical attention. His right arm showed signs of having drawn blood. Only Deacon noticed him, since the teens had their backs to the door.

"Yo!" he said as he approached the table, with a deep angry frown

"Hondo?" Rev asked clearly concerned. He took a look at Deacon, then at Marv

"Who's the big man that put a gun on my boy's back?" the standing officer asked staring down at Marv

"Man, ain't nobody scared o' you!" Marv said as he continued to eat his fries, completely disregarding the newcomer.

"Oh, aight, I gotchu! You think you all that now that you hanging with the 99s, huh?"

Marv stopped picking on his fries and returned the stare.

"You think rolling with them boys gonna make you look tough,huh? Your boys didn't come and save ya ass in jail."

"You know about that?" Rev asked

"Who you think pay the fine to get his ass out...and guess what? That aint gonna be free, my man!"

"Spare me! I dont owe you sh*t!" Marv said as he stood up and confronted the angry officer. "You don't scare no one, you beat down old man!"

Hondo took a step forward, as Deacon stood up immediately. "Deac!" Hondo warned facing off with the young man, now standing noses inches apart. Deacon froze.