Running away pt. 3 - Jenni x Alexia

Prompt - Jenni and Alexia still need to talk.

*

"Ale will you please just listen!" Jenni shouts, reaching out to grab the midfielders arm to stop her passing.

"I have to pack" she replies, yanking her arm out of Jenni's wrist and the forward sighs, watching her teammate go between the wardrobe and suitcase, throwing in things here and there, "if we don't talk now, when will we?" she asks.

Alexia shakes her head.

"I don't know Jenni but I'm looking forward to this break. I want to forget about the loss, loosen up a little, spend some time with my friends".

The Madrid born player can't blame her, she feels the same way and is looking forward to spending their two weeks off with Lola and friends.

"Do you even want to talk?" she asks.

"You've said yourself that we have to" Alexia comments, "I'd like to fix it before the Euros. We can't go into the tournament with these issues hanging over us".

Jenni fixes her gaze on a thread on her shorts and starts pulling at it, listening to the captain move around the room again.

"Who you going with?" she asks quietly.

"Leila, Vir, Carla Cotado, Nerea Pérez, Rios...".

The forwards ears prick up at the mention of the influencer, who everyone thought was dating Alexia before it was proved to be a ruse.

"Oh didn't realise Olga was going with you" Jenni's voice is quiet, so quiet in fact that Alexia barely picks up on it, "sí, I invited her for a catch up".

Jenni's heart drops into her stomach at this news and continues picks at her shorts vigorously, the midfielder picking up on her uneasiness, stopping what she's doing to crouch down in front of Jenni, hands resting on her thighs in an attempt to ground her teammate.

"Tell me what's wrong".

"I really want this to work Ale" her voice waivers but she doesn't meet Alexia's gaze, the Catalan's heart breaking a little. She has never seen Jenni so vulnerable before, so shy, for the normally confident, unafraid, out going person that Alexia knows.

"So, where do we go from here?" she asks.

The captains legs are now starting to burn, so she takes up a seat next to Jenni on the bed, keeping one hand firmly on the forwards thigh, "what do you want to happen?" she adds but Jenni stays silent.

"I don't think we can ever go back to the way it was and I think you know that. You've broken my trust one too many times for that to happen".

"I know" she whispers.

"What do I need to do to prove that pursuing this relationship is what I want... you're what I want" the forward adds turning to Alexia, "I don't know how many times I need to tell you that. It's been eating me up for months Ale and I'm at the point where I'm willing to do anything to make this work".

Alexia is taken aback by the strength of Jenni's confession, surprised that the person she thought she knew had actually turned into a shell of her former self.

"Jenni".

It's only then does she actually look at the midfielder, eyes full of tears threatening to spill over and Alexia can't help but lift a hand to her cheek, the older woman unconsciously leaning into her touch.

"I think if you love me this much, it might be time to let me go mi amor" she suggests, continuing despite Jenni's protestations.

"We've given so much to each other over these past five years and you've taught me so much about life, about love, about myself and my body" she says and the forward laughs a little, "our connection has done wonders for the team dynamic and on the pitch too, I honestly don't think I would have won the Ballon D'or or the Best award without you.

We made the team better and I'm forever grateful for that and I can only hope I have given you the same powerful, all consuming love you gave me in return".

By now, both players are crying, Jenni smiling at Alexia's statement, "there's no doubt about that princesa. You have given me so much love, my heart could burst and I wouldn't trade our time together for anything, in fact if I could go back and live it all again; I would" she explains.

Alexia falls into Jenni's side, the Madrid born player wrapping her arms around La Reina for one last time.

"This is all for the best. One day we'll look back on our time together and be thankful that fate threw us together" the captain says.

"I'll always remember the first time I met you, just two young girls wanting to play football, not knowing that it was possible as a career. All those moments we've shared on the field and off, you looked so gorgeous up there on that stage, Ballon D'or in hand, absolutely glowing with pride".

Alexia looks up, "I think that was you, you did a terrible job of hiding your love, it was radiating off you for everyone to see" she smiles.

"I couldn't help it" Jenni replies, "and it wasn't my fault the fans picked up on it and ran wild".

"It didn't help though".

The two players take comfort in each others presence, wrapped up in their thoughts of moments they've spent together throughout the years.

"You should finish packing" Jenni pipes up, "don't want you to be late for your holiday" she adds.

"You're right".

Alexia sits up and moves out of her embrace, leaving Jenni's side and continues to add to her nearly full suitcase, "where are you and Lola going?" she asks as Jenni tries to help by folding clothes, "Menorca I think" she replies.

"Lola and Vir are with Willy and Merel on Mallorca now and then I'm joining her. I think the others are then going with some of the Dutch girls".

"Well I hope you enjoy it, I know you like spending with Lola" Alexia smiles, closing the suitcase.

"I hope you got some closure" she continues, "it's going to be difficult not seeing each other in the same way but I want you to know that I'm always here for you Jenni, no matter what".

Jenni nods pulling the midfielder into a hug, "thanks Ale. I'm only a phone call away".

"I'll bear it in mind".

"Goodbye La Reina" she smiles, "goodbye Jenni".

*