Never good enough pt. 2 - Jenni Hermoso

Prompt - Jenni attempts to reconcile but realises she has lost in the process

*

3 months.

3 months was all it took for you to move on and Jenni was certain she'd never had an ex who'd moved on faster; you'd even beaten Alexia.

The forward had watched as you slowly started posting about someone new on your Instagram, pictures becoming more and more frequent and as Jenni stood on the sidelines at training she saw, in the flesh, the person who had made your life so much brighter.

"Exactly how long have you been standing here?" Alexia's voice startles the former Barcelona player but she doesn't take her eyes off you, "long enough".

"What are you doing here Jenni?" the captain sighs, turning to look at her friend and former lover, "I realised I really was in love her and came here to get her back..." her voice trails off because that's when she sees it.

The very same look that you had accused her of still giving Alexia every time, yet here you were, looking at someone in exactly the same way and someone who wasn't Jenni. Alexia has spotted it too, reaching out and placing a gentle hand on the older woman's shoulder, "lo siento" she whispers.

"I thought you knew..." the midfielder adds watching as Jenni's eyes start to fill with tears but she just shakes her head, "I didn't, I wouldn't have come back here if I did. All I saw was the suggestive Instagram posts, nothing more, if I knew she looked at her like that then...".

The forward doesn't finish her words before the tears are spilling from her eyes and she has to cover her mouth with her hand to hide her cries.

In the middle of the pitch, you and the rest of the girls are wrapping up training, messing around and squirting each other with water bottles, totally oblivious to the fact your ex is stood less than ten metres away.

"Hey, I didn't know Jenni was coming to visit" Claudia smiles, nodding to the side and draws your attention along with it.

"Did you know?" Marta asks, coming up alongside you and placing a gentle hand on your back but you shake your head as the younger girl goes running over to where Jenni and your injured captain are, hugging the Madrid born player tightly.

Sighing, you force yourself to join them, putting on your best fake smile and greeting both Alexia and your ex girlfriend, making a mental note at how close the midfielder is standing next to Jenni and the tear tracks that are staining her cheeks.

Your quizzical brow earns a stern look from your teammate as she brushes away your silent question, Claudia completely oblivious to everything.

"It's so good to see you" she beams up at her mentor, "te he extrañado".

"I missed you too, mi niña".

*

"What is she really doing here Ale? I know it's not just to see Claudia" you scowl, pacing up and down the carpet so hard that Alexia was worried you were going to wear a hole in it, "no it's not" she answers.

"Then what is it?!".

You stop turning to the captain, "my ex shows up after three months and for no reason? No I don't think so and you know it just as well as I do Putellas, she thinks she can win me back. Well you know what, she can't!" you complain. Alexia doesn't reply, happy to let you rant all you liked and even though she knew the reason Jenni had returned, she was convinced her ex had ulterior motives.