Ahead of myself - Ona Batlle

Prompt - inspired by the song Ahead of Myself by James TW

*

How do you make me nervous

Every time you walk through that door

From the minute you'd laid eyes on her, Ona had unknowingly caught your attention.

You couldn't explain your attraction to the defender but whenever she looked you, the breath left your lungs, whenever you spoke it would leave you a shaking mess, every interaction left you wanting more, silently pining for the Spaniard with little expectation in regards to her returning your feelings.

Millie had teased you about this and she knew from experience how difficult it was for you to open up, but that didn't stop her from suggesting it.

"Just tell her" she had said, "or I could tell her for you" the blonde defender suggested.

"You know I can't do that Mills" you sigh.

Not for the first time, your teammate complained about your stance, "I know, I know... you don't even know what's going to happen, it might turn out to be the best thing you ever do" she says, rolling her eyes at your scowl.

*

Look at you this evening, way my heart is beating

Swear you'll make me die in that dress

It would take another two years before you would finally tell Ona how you felt.

The team was out celebrating the end of the season in London, albeit having lost to Chelsea and the final Champions League spot to City but the adrenaline coursing through your veins or perhaps the alcohol, made you more confident than usual.

Millie had worked her magic and persuaded you to sit opposite the Spaniard so she could give you her full attention, her words not yours.

You'd felt Ona's eyes on you the entire night, not hard in your current position but little did you know that the dress you were wearing had awakened something in the defender she couldn't explain. It had incited feelings that were so strong she almost drowned them in alcohol but something about the way you looked back at her made her stop.

The evening was the perfect end to the season, reminiscing about the season just gone and all the moments you'd shared together as a team, as well as saying goodbye to some familiar faces and it wasn't until you were in the taxi on the way back that you had a chance to breath, however the perfect song came on over the radio and suddenly you were very aware of who you were sharing a car with.

Do I make it obvious

When I'm walking you to your door?

My hands are in my pockets

When I wish they were holding yours

The lyrics hang in the air all the way from the taxi to the hotel lift as something shifts between you, both reach for the other, hesitant at first, fingers just grazing the skin before Ona takes control and laces your hands together. She lifts them up to her lips and places a small kiss on the back of your hand, all while maintaining eye contact with you and leaving you breathless.

A comfortable silence settled as she walks you back to your room, stopped outside and looking down at your hands, the sight giving you a sudden burst of confidence.