Mi supermujer - Sandra Paños

Prompt - requested on Tumblr.

For the Paños fic could you do something with a  angst like they had a big fight about something (R being too clingy or something related their relationship during euros) then the Paños makes the mistake and R is there to comfort her but is like I just wanted to check on you. And they make up.

*

When you moved to Barcelona you had no intention of the relationships with your teammates evolving into anything other than those of friends. You had even told Lieke upon walking into the training complex on the first day, that you intended to focus on football alone for at least your first year in Spain.

That was of course until you rounded a corner and slammed into a tall, blonde goalkeeper, strong arms going around your waist to prevent you from falling and making you rethink the entire plan.

With Sandra being a co-captain, she was inclined to look out for you anyway but it seemed you had her caught her attention somehow as she went out of her way to help you and you're weren't ashamed to admit, owing to the plan you had every intention of keeping, that it took nearly six months for you to realise this.

Almost a year after you first met, you finally went on a date and hadn't looked back, officially getting together during Covid when the goalkeeper offered to be roommates with you during the shutdown and one thing led to another.

Now here you were, the best two years of your life later, getting the chance to represent your country together.

However you had never fought as bad as you just had and over something so trivial too, you had always resolved your arguments with Sandra through calm conversation, always taking the time to listen to what the other had to say but for some reason this one had blown up in your face and left you both sulking through all of the pre-competition training and the first game.

Trying to focus on training seems way too hard a task, especially with your girlfriends words ringing in your ears and emotions running high.

"Y/n estas bien?" Mapi asks, grasping at your arm to stop you walking away, dropping your head and not wanting your friend to see the tears forming, "do you want to talk about it?" she questions but you politely decline, moving out of her grasp. "Do I need to punch someone?" eyes flick up to the defenders so fast and you realise you've made the mistake too late, "I knew I could get you to look at me" she smirks but eyebrow raised, still questioning.

You sigh and shake your head again, eyes unconsciously flicking over to where the goalkeepers are finishing up their training and it suddenly clicks in Mapi's head, "did you two fight? I noticed you were avoiding each other" she says.

"Pretty much from the minute we got here" you shrug taking a sip from your water bottle.

While your eyes are trained on Sandra, you can sense Mapi wanting to probe but you beat her to it by explaining how the goalkeeper thought you were being 'too clingy' and that she wanted to put all her focus on representing Spain, "I can understand where she is coming from but to completely ignore me is a whole other thing" you explain, "I got rather angry and might have said some things I regret".

"I'm really glad I wasn't around for that" the defender laughs, but don't agree with her throwing away your relationship like that".

The silence is extremely loaded, the two of you sipping on water, unsure whether to take the conversation any further but decide against it for both of your sakes, instead joining up with your teammates for the next exercise.

*

The days leading up to your game against Germany are just as tense.

Alexia had left the camp for her surgery, leaving Mapi in particular, sulking and everyone a little downcast despite the opening win plus your argument with Sandra had not helped team dynamics. You had tried and failed to talk to your girlfriend but she was intent on ignoring you and spent most of her time with Lola, Misa and their goalkeeping coach.