Never good enough - Jenni Hermoso

Prompt - reader suspects she will never compare to Jenni's past relationship.

*

For the second time this week, you were certain Jenni was not over Alexia. Anyone else would have asked why but you didn't to, no you just knew. You could see it in her eyes any time the Barcelona midfielder appeared in the news or when Jenni scrolled through social media, there it was; the look.

The look that was etched on her face when Alexia won her first Balon D'or, the pride in her eyes, her smile, Jenni practically glowed watching your teammate and friend receive the award. There were countless videos and GIF's of the forward smiling to herself and trying to hide it behind her hand, of her casually taking a picture of her girlfriend and not caring who saw and that was despite the fact that the problems between the two had already started.

It was the same look that had you convinced you would never live up to her past relationship and had you rethinking your own.

What you didn't know though, was that your teammates had seen Jenni give you 'the look' on more than one occasion but when questioned about it, she told them not to mention it to you.

It hurt to know that you would never be good enough for Jenni, that anything you did would always be compared to Alexia and that you would never quite achieve the same status in the forward's mind as the Barcelona player did.

"Mi amor, are you in there somewhere?".

A hand waves itself in front of your face and pulls you from the depths of your thoughts to be met by the grin of your girlfriend, "there you are! I was beginning to think you'd forgotten I was here" she smirks.

"How could I ever forget" you reply a little quickly but thankfully Jenni doesn't catch on, or at least if she does, she doesn't show it.

"Well you've obviously forgotten that we're going out to dinner to celebrate Mel remember?" she questions, "with the team?" she adds when you look a little confused.

You sigh, "sí, sí, lo recuerdo".

The forward frowns, hands on hips and stares you down, not convinced by your answer, "are you sure you want to come? I can just say you're a little under the weather if you'd rather stay here?" she says but you shake your head, "it's no trouble, besides, Mel is one of my closest friends, my mentor, I want to say goodbye and celebrate her".

Jenni squats down next to the sofa so that she is at the same level as you, one hand reaching for yours, the other connecting with your bare thigh and rubbing circles on it with her thumb.

"I'm worried about you, mi amor. Will you please let me in? I want to help. Solo quiero ayudarte" she sighs.

"And you can help me... by helping me decide what to wear" you answer, watching Jenni's eyes light up, sparkling at the challenge.

*

"Jenni, y/n! You made it!".

Melanie welcomes you with open arms, the reserved area of the restaurant already filled by your teammates as well as several members of the veteran's family and even the likes of the younger Putellas sibling and Irene's partner Lucía.

"Of course... we wouldn't miss it for the world" you grin, greeting the defender with two air kisses.

You feel a shift behind you and step aside so Jenni can greet your teammate but upon turning around, you see that she has already moved away to the group and has taken up a seat next to Alexia.

Mel follows your eye-line and immediately steps a little closer to you, "is Jenni still in love with her?" you ask, knowing your mentor will only give you her honest opinion, "I don't know... but she's certainly not over her".