s. 2 ep. 3 The Watering Hole

It had been a couple months, or at least what we thought was a couple months, of island life. Our new base had come together well. It was a couple stories high with a common room, some repaired stools, and even a chalkboard we had found in the old lab. Me, Darius, and Brooklynn had spent a solid week designing and building a shower using old water jugs after we had gotten tired of the smell. I was currently resting in bed despite it being late morning.

"Let's get going guys, we have shit to do," Yaz said.

"Five more minutes." Brooklynn groaned and rolled over, her arm falling in my face.

Our beds were stacked on top of crates so Brooklynn's was slightly higher than mine.

I groaned and moved her hand. I blinked as my eyes adjusted to the sunlight. I sat up groggily and slid off the bed.

"Jesus dude put a shirt on. You're making Yaz flustered." Kenji teased

"What? No-I-um..." Yaz sputtered.

Kenji laughed. I slid my shirt while chuckling. My language and dark/dirty jokes had rubbed off on them. Even Darius was known to drop an F-bomb after an especially terrifying encounter involving a pack of compys, a stego, and a wooden spoon. Don't ask. I felt Brooklynn's eye's on me after I put my shirt on. I turned to see her staring off into the distance whistling a merry tune.

"Come on, just open!" Sammy grunted, trying to open a can.

"I've told you. The ice cream scoop won't work." I said walking past her

"Smashing with a rock is just unsanitary." She complained and threw the can which rolled and bumped Yaz's ankle. "Oh! Sorry, Yaz!" She called

"It's cool." she laughed.

One of the water jugs came flying and hit me in the head, knocking me over.

"What the fuck?" I said.

"No mas agua. A little help?" Kenji called from the shower

"No mas brain if I keep taking headshots like this," I yelled back, picking up the jug.

"If you keep doing that for him, he'll never learn to do it himself," Yaz said.

"Don't worry I left one out last night so it'll be extra cold. I'll fill this up for the rest of us."

She giggled. I waved and smoothly slid down the slide. I walked down to the river where... the water was gone?

"Well, that's new. Guys!" I called and they all came down to the river.

"Where'd the water go?" Sammy asked

"Why don't we ask Mr. 45-Minute Shower?" Yaz said.

"Hey, looking good is part of my brand," Kenji said

"Barely," I said quickly.

"Ha. There's no way I drained a river."

Brooklynn dropped into the empty river to check the small pool of water while Darius broke down the problem for us.

"We better figure out what's up or we're gonna run out of drinking water," he explained

Suddenly, Brooklynn, who was now on the other bank, whirled. "Shh!"

We looked at her. Everything was completely silent.

"I hear the hum again." She said

Everyone groaned.

"The river must've been drowning it out. If I follow that sound, I can find-"

"Frozen patch of flowers." We all finished in monotone.