s. 5 ep. 3 Battle Lines

POV: (y/n)

I walked down the hall and came to a stop next to Brooklynn. She at the door to the suite dejectedly... Well, that's a mild way of putting it. She looked disappointed with herself and at the same time, she looked fearful of what she was about to have to do. All morning the tension could be felt in the air by the entire group, and now, Brooklynn was about to walk straight into the storm.

She let out a long breath before leaning her head against my shoulder, causing my heart to skip a beat for a moment, more out of surprise than longing or any romantic feeling.

"What am I gonna tell him?" she groaned, looking up at me with sparkling greenish-blue eyes.

I was silent for a moment, unsure what to say. The power that fell into my hand was immense. I'd never felt power like that before. It was too much for one person. Especially with those beautiful orbs staring up at me.

"I know it's gonna hurt," I said after a moment. "I know it'll be tough, but you have to be honest with him... for his own good."

She sighed. "I worried you'd say something like that." She lifted her head off my shoulder. "Why couldn't I just stay here and not meddle in things?" she asked.

"Because that's not who you are," I replied. "No matter how bad things are gonna get because of what you do, you always do what keeps this group safe."

She looked up at me again, nodding. "I hate myself sometimes," she said.

"Welcome to the club," I replied.

She chuckled dryly as the footsteps of Darius and Ben approached behind us.

"You ready?" Darius asked.

Brooklynn took a deep breath and stared at the door with purpose before stepping forward and opening it.

Kenji was at one of the tables, stacking a few unused plates and some silverware. He looked over his shoulder at the sound of the door opening, glared, and turned back to what he was doing.

I saw the purpose die in Brooklynn's eyes immediately.

I tentatively reached out and put a hand on her shoulder.

She looked at it, nodded a few times as if she was working up the courage, and took one last short breath as Yaz come over and pulled Ben and D away then tugged on my sleeve to get me to give her some space too.

I followed and stood awkwardly with the other members of the group to see what would happen.

Brooklynn took a step forward, "Kenj', I am so, so sorry, I..."

"Stood me up?" Kenji asked, finishing her sentence.

Brooklynn sighed. "I know it looks bad, is bad," She corrected. "But... but I had a good reason. Darius, Ben... (y/n), and I found out that... that your dad freed Kash. And has Mae working with him to perfect dino control. And-And they've done it."

Kenji angrily slammed the plates on the table. "Are you serious?" he asked.

"Yes," Brooklynn replied. "Which is probably what your dad's big presentation today is all about."

"I'm not talking about my dad, I'm talking about you," Kenji replied.

Oh, here we fucking go.

"Instead of showing up to our first date, you decided to sneak around behind my back... to prove my dad is, what, some sort of supervillain?" Kenji asked.

"Are you hearing this motherfucker right now?" I muttered.

"We should go..." Sammy said, trying to walk away but begging grabbed by Yaz, and pulled back before she could get far. "Right, we should hear this." She amended.