s. 5 ep. 11 The Last Stand

"-fucker." I said

After a slight hesitation, Kenji took a deep breath and spoke. "You guys have every right to be mad at me."

"You think?" Yaz asked

"Thanks for the permission," Brooklynn said.

"Asshole," I added

Kenji looked down at his ground knowing he wouldn't get through to us.

"Trust me, I get it. He messed up." Ben said, standing after caring for Bumpy.

"Oh, is that what we're calling it?" Yaz asked, sarcastically.

"He betrayed us." Ben corrected. "He disappointed us. He practically left us for dead."

Kenji cleared his throat, trying to get Ben to stop reminding us.

"But," Ben said. "He knows it was a mistake. He helped save Bumpy. And in my eyes, that's enough for a second chance. Plus, considering what and who we're up against, we're gonna need all the help we can get."

"Shut up, Ben. You're concussed." I said

Darius scoffed in disappointment then turned and walked away, saying nothing.

Kenji stared after his former friend. It pained him to see Darius of all people turn away without hearing him out, but he shook it off and continued. "I-I know there's not some magical thing I can say that will make everything right again. I am so, so sorry. I had this idea of who my dad was or... who I wanted him to be."

I looked at my friends who... were looking thoughtfully at Kenji. Listening to his words carefully.

"I kept telling myself, he's not a bad guy." Kenji scoffed. "Turns out, I was wrong. Me, wrong. Shocking, I know."

Yaz sorta smirked at this. So did Sammy.

You gotta be fucking kidding me. I thought.

Kenji then paused... and walked over to stand in front of Brooklynn.

I felt my blood start to boil.

A long silence followed as Kenji searched for the right words.

"Brooklynn-" He started.

"I had this big speech ready in case I ever saw you again." She interrupted. "But now, I... I just..." She took a breath. "I thought I knew who you were."

Kenji took another step forward and touched her shoulder.

"I'm still the same me," Kenji said

You could practically see the steam coming from my ears.

"I'll prove it to you. No matter how long it takes." Kenji said.

Brooklynn looked up at him, trying to gauge whether she could trust his word. "We'll see." She said.

"Fuck this!" I yelled, storming forward, grabbing him by the collar, and pushing him back into the airlock.

"(y/n)!" Brooklyn exclaimed.

"(y/n), stop," Yaz said, coming after me.

I slammed him against the wall of the hallway, staring into his eyes with unchecked anger. The only reason I didn't strangle him right then and there were the three girls and one concussed dino tamer trying, and mostly failing, to separate us.

"You think you can waltz right back into this group like everything's fine, give some big apology speech where you bitch about how it's your fault, which we already knew, and expect all to be forgiven?" I yelled, ending with a little unhinged laugh.