s.5 ep. 9 The Core

POV: (y/n)

Angel shied away from Ben as he offered her a branch full of leaves.

"Oh, really spoiled you with all those berries, huh?" Ben asked.

"It is a kid. I don't know why we thought giving them sweet shit all the time was a good idea." I said.

Ben and I were near the watering hole's bank watching over our small herd of herbivores. Pierce and Firecracker were drinking while I lay back on a snoozing Rebel. Ben was on his knees trying to entertain Angel in any way he could while Yaz was off on a run.

Angel groaned and whined, obviously missing Yaz.

"Don't worry. She'll be back soon." Ben promised.

Suddenly, a distant sound of rustling underbrush and panting grew louder.

"Huh?" Ben asked, turning as Yaz sprinted out of the forest.

Yaz ran toward Ben at full speed, leaping him in a single bound as he flinched away with a small scream.

I chuckled then fell back with an "oof." as Rebel stood up.

"You okay, Fadoula?" Ben asked

Yaz laughed through her hard breathing as she looked out over the watering hole.

"Seriously. You okay?" Ben asked, even more confused.

"I forgot how good it feels to run!" Yaz said, turning to face us eyes widening in excitement. "I mean, really run. For fun, and not because something is chasing us."

"Yeah, me too," I grumbled.

"Aw, are you mad that mommy wouldn't let you out of the house?" Yaz asked, offering a hand to pull me to my feet.

"That's fucked." I said, taking it and chuckling as she pulled me up.

She chuckled too. She was referencing that this morning when I wanted to run with her, Brooklynn had made it very clear that I was to do nothing of the sort with my bad back. I almost convinced her to let me do a light jog because, you know, gotta stay in shape, but I gave up on it. Yaz wanted to sprint anyway.

"Can't say I can relate, but I'm glad you had a good time," Ben said.

Yaz laughed a little more. "Better than good. Being out there gave me the space to think. To really think." She said, looking at me seriously.

I got the message. "Ben, fuck off. The adults need to talk."

"Oh, come one, man!"

"Take the kids to the pool or something. Pierce is an excellent lifeguard." I said.

Pierce bellowed.

"Fine," Ben said, indignantly.

I turned back to Yaz as Ben and his dinos made their way to a different part of the watering hole.

"I'm gonna do it, (y/n). I'm gonna tell Sammy how I feel." She said with a huge smile on her face.

"Fuck yes!" I said, excitedly. "Fuck yes, Yaz. Holy shit. How are you gonna do it?"

"No idea." She replied.

I nodded. "That seems to be a theme."

"I'll just... I'll do it when the time is right, you kn... Oh... Sorry. I got... carried away."

"No. No. Don't apologize. I get it. You're excited. That's good. Just... It's not gonna be a perfect moment. Don't fall into that trap."

Yaz nodded, smiling nervously.