s. 5 ep. 2 The Final Test

POV: Brooklynn

Sammy sighed happily. "The sun is shining, no dinosaurs are chasing us, and most importantly, breakfast is served." She said, looking over the spread of doughnuts, egg and cheese biscuits, and other assorted breakfast items we'd been craving after the limited diet of whatever nonperishables we could find on Nublar.

"Feels weird to have nothing to worry about for once," Yaz said.

"Yeah, definitely. I, myself, am very relaxed." Darius said.

"Oh, same. I'm, like... chillllllllllllllllllllllll." I said, stretching out the word.

Sammy and Yaz looked at each other weirdly and walked away from us.

(y/n), who stood behind us, facepalmed.

"How long have you been standing there?" Darius asked.

"He's been there the whole time. He's just not talking cus it's the morning and he's angy." I said, changing my voice when I said 'angy'.

(y/n) sighed and shook his head. He'd been acting differently recently. It seemed like he was bothered by something and it was weighing heavy on him. I didn't know how to help him and it seemed like everything anyone did to try and help was met with backlash.

"You guys aren't chill though, right?" Darius asked

(y/n) and I shook our heads.

"I wanna trust Kenji's dad, I-I really do, but..." Darius continued.

"He gives off total liar vibes?" I asked

"Yeah," Darius said, begrudgingly, upset with the scrutiny of one of his best friends.

"You can tell he's gaslighting the shit out of us. I'm just not sure what it's about yet." (y/n) said.

"We can't turn Kenji's world upside down just because of a vibe, right?." Darius asked.

"No, we can't." I agreed. "But what if it turns out we're right?"

I looked dejected at (y/n) who looked tired like he hadn't gotten much sleep last night. I could see bags forming under his eyes.

"Why so doom and gloom in here, bros and girlf?" Kenji said.

"Kenji!" Darius said, sounding unnatural.

"Morning!" I said, with a smile.

"It amazes me how you keep coming up with new abbreviations." (y/n) noted, looking unamused.

"Hehe. Sorry" Kenji said, rubbing the back of his neck dorkily.

I giggled.

"Man, am I pumped for today?" Kenji continued, grabbing a plate full of food plus a whole plate of doughnuts. "Dad actually wants my help."

The four of us walked over to a table. Kenji and I took the booth part while Darius and (y/n) took the chairs.

"I'm so happy you're happy, Kenj'," I said, sliding next to him. "So, has he mentioned anything about when we get to call home or... anything like that?"

"Well, you heard him. He just needs a few days to arrange everything safely." Kenji said. "Plus, he's super focused on the presentation right now. You get it."

"Right!" Darius said. "So since you brought it up, now that dino fights are off the table, what exactly is he presenting?"

"I'm sure he's doing something super cool using Mae's communication," Kenji replied. "We really got through to him. In fact, he even asked me to prep for the investor cocktail party. He said, and I quote, 'I'd rather you do it than those stupid robots.'"