s. 5 ep. 10 Arrival

Hi. So I know it's not 70k, but 69k is the funny number and I am a child. Seriously, wtf. It's been I think over a year now since I've devoted my free time to this shit. And, Jesus Christ, have we come a long way. I didn't think Jack or shit would come of this. By the end of writing season 1, I only had 1k reads and now we might get 80k before I'm done. Seeing you guys enjoying my early writing (even though it was fucking awful) and saying funny shit in the comments kept me going. It's been amazing to see the formation of this little community. We all gathered around a common idea... that Kenlynn sucks and holy shit have we beaten that horse to death. No, but seriously thank you all for being supportive, especially for something I'm not even really sure about. This whole fan fiction thing is still really odd to me. But, I'm a storyteller at heart, and if this is a way I can do it then oh well. Thank you all for this incredible year. Eat some waffles. Tell your mom you love her. Enjoy the story.

"Ben, slow down." Darius tried to whisper yell as we chased the emotionally charged boy through the jungle. "We won't get Bumpy back without a plan."

"Something tells me his plan is not to have a plan," I told him.

We finally caught up to Ben who was crouched behind a tree, watching Kenji and two armed guards standing outside of Kash's workshop as Mr. Kon entered the building.

"Find her?" Brooklynn asked, referring to Bumpy.

"No. But I found Kenji and his new best friend." Ben said with disdain.

I looked up at the two guards and recognized the trim beard and wide forehead of one of them.

"No way," I said.

"Hawkes?" Brooklynn asked in disbelief.

"Mr. Kon is exactly the type of guy who'd work with a jerk like Hawkes," Darius said.

"I know you're 13 and going through a dinosaur phase but can we please find some more colorful words than 'jerk'?" I said.

"We're not doing the swear words bit again," Darius said.

"I just..." Brooklynn kinda mumbled, catching my attention. "I wouldn't expect Kenji to... to work with him... after everything."

Sammy rubbed her back sympathetically.

Brooklynn smiled sadly.

I felt a wave of anger well up in my chest towards Kenji being the dumbass, heartbreaking, entitled, egotistical, asshole he was. But I pushed it down. It was no time to get hot-headed. I looked over to Darius and Brooklynn. They had the same angry, dejected, disappointed look on their faces that was probably plastered on mine.

"Well, at least he'll be mad when he sees the control chips are gone," Brooklynn said.

"And Brooklynn selected the blueprints," Darius said. "How's he gonna sell his tech to BioSyn now?"

"Shh!" Ben said suddenly, pointing at Mr. Kon who was exiting the building. "Why does his mad face look so calm?" Ben asked.

"So?" Hawkes asked.

"The chips are gone, and the workshop is trashed," Kon replied.

"By the earthquake?" Kenji asked.

"And those children." Said Kon.

"Okay, so what, we don't get paid?" Hawkes asked.

"A Kon always thinks ahead." Kon replied, pronouncing it "cone" instead of "con" which is really weird and I'm still waiting on a clear answer. And I know that most of the voice stuff was recorded over lockdown but it's still confusing as shit. "There's a backup of the chip schematics." Kon continued. "It's on a flash drive hidden in the jaw of one of the BRAD-Xs."