44- Friends

It was, surprisingly a quiet Tuesday night at the Château. Customers made a brief visit and were fast. They didn't sit around, lingering about the bar and bothered to chat with the escorts. It was strange. The atmosphere around the place was almost deadly. I wondered what happened. I checked my phone. It was fifteen minutes till midnight. At this time, normally the bar would be packed. Drunk teenagers and sober business people would be lining up outside the entrance. But today, there were none.

From the cashier, I watched Quinn, sitting on his own with an account book, scribbling away on a piece of paper. He removed his reading glasses for the fifth time, or sixth in the last ten minutes and rubbed his eyes.

"It's rude to stare. Did you mother not teach you any manner?"

My eyebrows furrowed but I wasn't entirely upset. Quinn is naturally rude. His remark is always rude, but himself is harmless. His heart is way better than what he allows out of his mouth.

"She did, actually. But I kept getting worst after she died." I said, almost savagely and heard him exhale a sharp breath after that comment, gathering his thoughts before he spoke.

"What's the matter, Astrid?" He looked up from the account book.

I walked up to him, shaking my head, breathing out.

"Where's everyone?" I asked, disappointed. I was so ready to work my energy off tonight and seeing so less customers decided to show up somehow messed with my head. It bothered me that I wasn't working. My mind wandered a lot when my hands and legs weren't busy. I hate that. I can't sit through free time.

Quinn cleared his throat. In contemplating, or thinking, he looked back at me as if this conversation between us wasn't going to be easy.

"It's probably just the weather." He lied. I could tell.

"There is nothing wrong with the weather." I laughed.

"Go back to work, Astrid. Or take a night off if you'd like. You have my permission. I'll deal with Dante."

"But I want to work." I fought. Midnight is too early for me to be heading to bed. My head would be filled with thoughts by the end of the night and if I wasn't exhausted, sleep doesn't usually come easy.

"Fair enough." Quinn closed his account book, shook his head and slid off the bar stool, "I am going to run up and delivery this to bossman."

And I remembered.

"Can I come with?" I asked, bluntly. It's about time I give Ace my answer. It had been four days and I hadn't been able to think straight.

"No." Quinn's firm voice had me staring back at him, confused. He almost sounded defensive. Why?

"But I need to speak with Ace— I mean, Mr. Alonso."

I blushed, heavily, noticing how Quinn rose his eyebrows before the corner of his mouth lifted slightly, forming a small smirk.

"Any other time, kid. Not tonight." He said before turned around and walked away, leaving me dumbfounded at the bar.

What's with today?

********************

After Quinn left the bar, well, it got a bit busy. Not normally busy but enough to keep me running around and my other barmaids occupied, mixing drinks.