55- Dream vs. Dread

( FLASHBACK )

"No matter what you're, where you're, who you're, you'll always be mine, baby. Always." Ralph stated as his free hand came up to rest on my thigh. I looked at him, "I had plans for us, you know. I'll give it a few months then I will call it off with Joanna, letting her down easily. I don't want to hurt her. Especially, seeing how much she means to you."

Pretending to listen as he rambled on and on, my jaw ticked, "Thank you.." I felt sick to the bone as I forced myself to response to this nonsense.

"And when you'll go off to college—" Ralph continued, "I bought this nice apartment close to the campus so you don't have to wake up early, and I could drive you to class every day before work. Then, you'll graduate. Be whatever you want, do whatever you feel like."

I smiled. Right. As if they're going to let that happen.

"You will have our full support no matter what." He added, thoughtfully, "Zayn could help you if you want to pursue a career in medicine since he basically owned a hospital. I can help you if you want to do anything in the business, and well, Cruz, he's no use but he can keep you happy while Zayn and I are busy at work."

Speechlessly, I gulped, staring back at Ralph.

"So, what do you say, baby?" He urged, smiling down at me, "A few months, that's all I am asking for. Can you wait for me?"

Words gagged my mouth.

"I promise I will make it worth it, Aurora."

My heart leaped as I swallowed and lightly cleared my throat.

"C-can I think about it over the weekend?" Sounds like the most reasonable response I could give him at the moment. He would think I was completely insane if I were to say yes too fast.

But then again, I could just easily piss him off by saying no. There was no other around. I have to buy myself some times. I have to make Ralph trust me.

His smirk grew even wider and I cringed. His eyes lit up with hope. I almost felt bad for lying.

"Sure." He nodded, "But come back to me with the answer, alright?"

I nodded back, keeping a straight face. Even forced a small smile.

The second I looked up at Ralph again, I could almost sense a hint of distrust in his eyes.

Agitated, I followed my instinct and did what I thought I had to in order to distract him. Ralph tended to overthink a lot of things. He's just like me. But only smarter.

Looking into my eyes, it felt as though he could read me like an open book.

Unsteadily, I reached out with my tiny hands and cupped his face. I leaned closer. Titled my head. Basically, did everything he does right before we make out.

I brought myself closer to him, feeling his warmth, yet I shivered.

I heard his breath hitch coldly in his throat when I kissed him.

Yes. I kissed him first.

Squeezed my eyes shut, hating the fact that he is probably judging me for my bold move. I hated the way I was behaving. Hated that I chose this method to distract him. But overall, I was more afraid than shy. For him to believe that there's future for us, this way is the only way.