47- Closer

( Aurora P.O.V. )

How hard is it to hide your feeling for someone?

It shouldn't be so hard, right? Then, why am I struggling so much to stop feeling anything when he's near?

The last time I saw Ace was last week. When he, for the last time ever, asked me out and I never gave him my response. I didn't get the chance. I was a coward. If our face-to-face conversation had been carried on in form of a text message, I basically left him on read.

I didn't go to his party either. But I went to work. There were so many wings, so many zones inside this building that a private party could have taken place in an area completely separate from the common zone where regular customers were still allowed. I wiped counter. Took care of the bills. Helped mixing some drinks that were simple enough and required no instagrammable action.

It was boring. That whole night I was thinking about Ace. Asking myself questions. Is it worth it to ignore a good man like him? Is his patience just running low or out? Was he being serious when he said I will not have to see him again?

Well. A week had gone by. I guessed it's safe to say. He was dead serious.

Today was Wednesday. My day off. I usually started the day by going out for a walk at the park right around the corner. But as I was heading out, I saw someone coming through the back door.

I would recognize that face from miles away.

I made it casual. Acted as if I didn't know he was coming in and went to take the stairs instead of the main elevator so I could run into him accidentally.

How pathetic are you, Aurora. Well, it's now or never.

His men stopped stone dead in their tracks, glaring up at me as I was making my way down each steps cautiously. They all looked at me as if I was some kind of a weird stalker after their boss. Quinn shot me the look. Isaiah smirked and Dante shook his head before he glanced over at Chris.

Finally, Ace looked up from his phone, sensing someone's eyes boring into him. Well, mine.

My stomach did a double back flip when he cocked his head to one side, chuckling before he flashed me a smile. Oh, I could have died. That damn grin. The way he was looking back at me. He's really unhealthy for my heart, isn't he?"

Chris noticed my reaction. He probably saw how my face flushed suddenly because his eyes narrowed the second they found mine.

Ace turned on his heels and kept walking up the stairs. Awkward. But at least, I didn't trip or fall in front of him.

I frowned as I reached the last step of the stairs. With all the effort I had put in, in order to run into him accidentally, I can't even get a hi?

*******************

That night, I joined Quinn at the bar anyways. It was getting boring and all my friends were on duty tonight. So no company, nothing to do down at the basement. I didn't want to be alone.

I usually don't drink alcohol. But tonight, Quinn was being very pushy for some odd reasons. He insisted on me trying the club's new drinks. I could be his lab rat, he said. I complied. Because why not. There was nothing else fun to do around here. It's a club. People get drunk, dance and partied. I wasn't going to bring out my notebook and started writing an essay.

"Here." Quinn handed me another drink. My forth one for tonight making me groan. It was a shot this time.

"Another one?" I slurred. Three drinks I had downed in total. My brain has turned to Play-Doh at this point.