59- Soft spot

A single lamp stood tall, lighting up the entire living room as I walked in. I glanced at Silas.

Faintly, but we both could still hear the crying coming from the master bedroom. Sadness weighed heavy in my heart. I wished I was there to comfort Astrid. To sooth her. But right now, I had another thing to take care of.

"How did it happen?" I asked as I plopped down onto the couch right next to the armchair Silas was sitting on.

His expression was worry-filled, but patient as he lifted his glance to meet mine.

"There had been an explosion, sir." My breath froze and suddenly my world started to spin.

"Where?" I couldn't believe my ears.

"The Château." He replied. Shaking his head as he proceeded, "We suspected gas leak but the investigation is still ongoing."

My brows rose, "And, Chris—?"

"He's missing." Silas concluded. Sorrow hummed in his voice, "I mean we couldn't find his body yet, but one of our securities had informed the police that he last saw Chris upstairs, checking on the surveillance equipment right before the massive blast. The whole entire sixth floor collapsed. There is a chance. Most likely that he didn't make it."

"What about the others?" I asked, worriedly.

"More than a dozen were injured, sir." I honestly hoped that was it, "And, four deaths.."

It almost felt like my soul had left my body at once. I sat there in silence, contemplating where did I go wrong.

Four deaths.

That's a lot of lives passing away for absolutely nothing. Those people were someone's dad. Someone's mother. Someone's son, or daughter. They didn't deserve to die like this. Nobody deserved to die at their work place.

"I need to go back." I told Silas, "Arrange me a private jet. We need to leave as soon as we can."

"I think it would be best for you to remain in New York, sir. For now." He suggested.

"Why?" I highly doubted the victims' relatives would expect me to sit here and sulk, acting like nothing happened.

When Silas's chest rose and then fell in a long sigh,  I grew even more impatient.

"There is definitely going to be a lawsuit." He claimed, "Usually, when a person dies due to the legal fault of another person—"

My jaw ticked.

"Legal fault of another person?" I repeated his words exactly, "Whose fault is it? The whole thing was clearly an accident."

"Well, sir, I am afraid the family members of those who died failed to recognize so." He implied, "They're blaming it on the company's negligence and misconduct. Something about engineering. A structural failures."

I shook my head, "Bullshit. There's no such a thing."

"That's not even the worst part yet." Silas's eyes bulged at me through his heavy reading glasses before he added, "A team of FBI agents are waiting for you back at home."