57- Fearless

Have you ever heard of the phrase,

No one knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Well, unless someone decides to open them, the mystery will remain.

Reaching for the door handle, I gripped it tightly in my hand, feeling the cold metal pressed against my sweaty palm. My heart pounded in my chest.

It must be this room. The only room on the floor with any noise coming from the other side of the door. Not only one but two noises I heard. One male. One female. I hoped I wasn't wrong.

Exhaling slowly, I twisted my hand, freezing on the spot.

"Who's there?!" A deep voice shouted in threatening manner, followed two shuffling footsteps racing down the hall.

Out of my peripheral vision, I saw two male figures approaching, one tall and slightly well built, the other shorter and noticeably slimmer.

"Miss Aurora?" The taller one croaked out in slight disbelief as his eyes narrowed in recognition. Then he turned to his shorter friend and they both gave each other a knowing nod. My prediction was then confirmed. It must be him behind the wall. I recognized these guys. I remembered seeing them bowed down to him, running around to fulfill his orders, fetching sticks like a puppy.

"Allow me, Miss." His tone was neutral but full of respect. The taller guy stepped forward, beating me to the closed doors.

He took the liberty and be the first one to step inside. Then, he proceeded to use his foot to hold the door open, one hand binding behind his back. With his gaze, he directed me to come inside and I did.

A smell of rich, earthy fragrance lingering in the cold air filled my nostrils along with a hint of the familiar, expensive cologne.

Next off, I remembered taking three slow, measured steps forward and found myself standing in the middle of the doorway.

There was a slight pause for milliseconds marked by two panting breaths.

Two.

The knot in my stomach tightened.

Deliberately, I lifted my head to look up. Fighting back a snort, the view right in front of me me was just such as I had anticipated.

It should not bother me. And, it didn't. Period.

Not even one bit did I feel bad for interrupting the couple. Judging from the outfit that woman was wearing, which in this case was invisible to the eye, it didn't take me more than one guess to figure out the exercise they've been performing prior.

Perhaps, it was anger. Yes. Anger, it was. This sense of resentment I suddenly felt, seeing her wrapped around his arms so protectively. A little space in between them wouldn't hurt. Talk about workplace etiquette. Some people seemed to be having a hard time grasping the concept.

"What're you doing here?" The woman met my glance as she spoke pointedly, "Ace's office is all the way down the hall."

Simply, not bothering to reply, her disgusting attitude was tolerate-able, comparing to what her lover had to say next.

With even greater authority, and colder tone than I remembered, his deep voice rose to a growl.

"What did I tell you about letting people parading into my office unannounced and without an appointment, Marcus?"

"Sir, but—"

"I don't care." He cut him off, angrily, "Get her out of my office." He ordered, "Now."