67- Wounded

( Aurora P.O.V. )

"Alright, you guys!" I called, loudly, "I am going to close my eyes and count to ten. You go and hide, then I will try to find you. Got it?"

"Yes, Aurora!" Two small voices yelled in reply and I could hear small footsteps moving around.

I smiled and leaned against the big tree. I closed my eyes and then started counting down slowly.

By the time I made it down to one, I shouted to inform the girls. I flicked my eyes open and heard a patter of feet and small giggles not so very far away. Anyhow, I pretended to walk the trail of the park twice. All the while ignoring Madeline's blonde pigtails with the pretty ribbons that stuck out from the bush behind which Nadia was hiding.

At once, I decided to catch both of them at the same time, wanting to make it a fair game. I know how competitive Madeline could get and most kids just hated losing in general. Also, the rule was that whoever won got a popsicle. But that's just sad, isn't it? If one of them were to end up with a treat while the other one walk home empty-handed. I couldn't do that to my girls. I love babysitting them.

As we were on our way back from getting Madeline a popsicle, and Nadia a snowcone from an ice cream stand, the timer on my phone rang, signaling it was time to go.

"Come on, girls." I called for both of them and knowingly they started to whine.

"Please, Ms. Aurora. Could we just play another round of hide and seek before we go?" Madeline begged. There was no way to say no to those puppy dog eyes of hers. But I have to stand my ground this time.

"Girl, you said that the last game." I bent down to match their height and Nadia cutely brushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Please, Ms. Aurora."

I shook my head, chuckling, "It's time to go, sweetheart. You still have a lot of homework to do both of you and how many times have I told you not to call me Ms. Aurora?"

"Unless we play another round of hide and seek, it's still Ms. Aurora, Ms. Aurora." Madeline let out a playful scoff as she planted her hands on her hips. Nadia mimicked her best friend and did the same.

"I really can't with both of you." I laughed.

Upon realizing they would never get it their way this time, eventually, both of them gave in. I ended up walking them home just in time for when the parents returned from work. Madeline's mother, Mrs. Riley invited me to stay for dinner, and for the tenth time, I had to turn her down. It wasn't that I dislike Mrs. Riley's cooking. I mean she is a chef and oh. That delicious aroma of her roasting brisket. Ugh. Anyways, as much as I wished I could stay, I know I shouldn't. My fear of her husband had given me a stronger reason for this determination.

It's not that Mr. Riley is a bad guy. He's amazing. Gentleman. Great with kids. He is such a great father to Madeline, a respectful husband to Mrs. Riley, and the best employer I could ever ask for. So what's the problem here? Well, while some people are very skilled in reading human body language, I tended to only go with gut feeling. It happens automatically for me. I see a guy, be around them and all I could do was stand there, numb.

I do not feel safe. No matter how nice the guy was. I just couldn't.

I thought eventually I would finally develop some trust in men, and only be on the lookout for any red flags. But up till now, I still couldn't overcome my fear. And it's gotten to the point where I've considered seeing a therapist. But an increase in daily expenses is just as overwhelming.

I don't have a lot left to afford the ideal lifestyle. I only have enough to pay for the utility bill and for food. I don't have a full-time job at the moment. I am only part-time babysitting, and on weekends I killed the time by volunteering at the nursing home. Being around elderly people, I found it much more soothing. During the day, I read. I used to go to the public library near my house, but one of the male librarians soon proved to be a little too friendly, so I stopped going. I wasn't afraid of him. But it was very uncomfortable. I hate attention. I hate men. And when those two factors were combined, my brain immediately told me to run.