46- Investigation

"Sit down."

It had been a while since I last saw Joanna. She had changed quite a lot but not at all in a good way. She got skinnier. Her paled face looked tired even after an attempt to hide it under a thick layer of make-up. She didn't look healthy. Nor did she look like she had a proper sleep and eaten meals. But I supposed, ultimately such things bounded to happen when your loved one abandoned you for the better. For once, I felt like we could relate. The pain she must have gone through. I am fighting it too.

Ralph left Joanna. Not because he was tired of her. Not because he was angry, upset or bored. But because his heart belonged to someone else.

Though right now, his reason; it would seem that there were the possibilities of change.

"If this is about the divorce, I'm standing my ground, Rafael. I will not sign the paper." Joanna snarled as soon as she sat down. The way she behaved, even the sound of her breath was almost intolerable.

I had nothing against her. But that was before all this. Now, knowing what had transpired between her and Aurora, I wanted to slit her throat open with my knife pocket, gunned her down and had her begging for her life.

After six months of trying, we finally got somewhere. The missing puzzles we had been searching for fell right off our pockets. Why didn't we think of her? Her family was powerful enough and if there was anyone who had the guts to mess with us. With Ralph. It must be her.

Another clue to confirm. The damn ring. Joanna was the only person apart from Ralph to have access to every room, every wing, every place inside that mansion. Heck, it was bought for her. Her wedding gift. Hidden away. Located on a privately-owned piece of land. A secret location, that only Ralph and her knew.

A missing person. Aurora, to her was a nobody. It was as simple as getting a cup of coffee from Starbuck for Joanna to make her disappear. She must have it all planned and it wasn't surprising to say the least that Jaxon, her stepbrother had taken a part in this dumb plan of his sister's as well. He was in the business. He must have had the idea that he could get his way with people. Jaxon Conner might be smart. But his sister was way too dumb for his own good.

"I didn't call you here to discuss about the divorce." When Ralph hissed, sharply, the room automatically fell silent. He leaned back in his armchair while Zayn and I stood merely a few steps away, right behind Joanna. Just in case the bitch tried to run.

"Joanna, I have a question." Ralph's statement was direct. His dark eyes glowed and his countenance was deadly, "How's Aurora?"

If I were Joanna, I would have spilled everything I know the second Ralph asked his question in such a tone. But she didn't. She continued to play game.

"How would I know?" The bitch growled, "I haven't seen her since the wedding—" Damn right.

"You once said she's your best friend." Ralph chuckled, "Doesn't it bother you that your best friend just disappeared out of nowhere?"

"Aurora disappeared?" She sounded shock. Horrible acting, but I have seen worst.

"You didn't know?" I joined, taking a small step forward. She turned to me.

"Well, I thought you guys broke up and she just left."

"It's not that simple, Joanna." I said, "You know women don't just walk away from me."

Joanna made a mistake and avoided looking me in the eyes. Instead, she turned to look at Ralph. Little did she know, he could read her a thousand time better than even I or Zayn could.