21

--<3--

--<3--

Jeremiah was surprised to see the detective at the hospital. At first, he was ready to run over and see if she was okay but when he noticed the man next to her, J knew it was her dad that had been in trouble. She was a replica of him, same eyes and facial shape, and that cute nose was just the same. Jeremiah's mom poked his arm as she held on to it so she stay up straight, she was always very tired after treatment and needed help standing.

"Is that the detective I have heard so much about?" She teased her son as he continue staring over at the brown-haired beauty. He needed to force himself to look away from her to see his mom smile up at him. The hospital swarmed with people but to Jeremiah, it was only him and his mom and Evelyn and her dad at a distance. 

"How did you know?" he asked softly. He had always been very sweet to his mom as he knew she had suffered so much, she had saved him a lot of times as his dad wanted to hit him. They had tried to leave him but were always hunted down and the newer punishment was always worse than the one before. To Jeremiah his mom was a hero, she never gave up on them getting away and when they finally did, she made sure their life together would be the best she could make. 

"The way you look at her tells me everything I need to know," she said and looked up at her son with the love she always had for him. All she wanted was to see him happy and if cancer would kill her one day, she wished to at least see him happy with someone. The air around them smelled of hand sanitizer and other unpleasant smells and people rushed back and forth as they either got news or waited for something. The hospital had always been a place she felt uneasy in and to have her son there to support her in her treatments meant a lot to her.

"I don't think she wants me the same way, mom. She asked me to let her be alone the other day when I tried to convince her that the stupid police rules weren't a good enough excuse anymore" Jeremiah said low as he remembered the hurt he had felt. Every day since had been harder and harder as he felt like she would never give in to him. For every hour he slipt deeper into the thought that she didn't want him.

"Have patience with her son. It's not easy for someone that has been going one way too suddenly to be thrown over to the other way and just be fine with the change, and policies have strict codes to follow" She told him as she squeeze his arm. She looked over at the detective that sat down with her dad talking with a serious face. Something about the woman made Jeremiah's mom calm like she knew she was the one for her son, the one to ground him and make him more confident.

"How many rejections can a man take?" Jeremiah's sight while talking to himself. The statement made her mom smile lightly.

"As many as it needs to get the girl. Give her some time" She repeated and started to take a step closer to the daughter and dad at the other end of the corridor. Jeremiah wanted to object but with a look his mom silence him and he walked by her side worrying what embarrassing story his mother was going to tell.