Game on

Jaye's POV

"I'll take you home." I say after the awkward moment we just shared.

"I'll call a taxi" she says bluntly.

"You have no money... I'll call one for you" trying to rectify the situation.

She grabs her dress off the counter and tugs on my shirt and says "I'll give this back to Ben I'm sure he'd get it back to you." She walks out of the apartment and shuts the door behind her. 

I would've understood if she slammed it and stormed away but she didn't. Every other girl does and I don't mean to lead them on but I meant to kiss her but I freaked. I saw her face and my brain went blank. I stood there like a lemon. I went to walk towards my office but the cookies caught my eye. I felt a pang of regret yet again and I threw them away. Her sent flooded my nose and I'm intoxicated by her. Work.

Later in the evening 

I'm engrossed in work replying to emails watching millions of dollars leave and billions come back. Trying to gather my father's loose ends and fix them. I hear the front door slam shut, and a suit jacket hit the floor. It's bens suit. He does the same thing every time: enter, slam door, throw suit jacket on the floor and leave it. I'm convinced he does it to annoy me. I carry on with work when a pillow slams into my head.

"What the fuck?" I said dazed.

"Bro she told me you kept her locked up in here and went into kiss her but didn't and to top it all off you made her take a cab!" He looks genuinely frustrated. "I had to endure 2 romances because of you dickhead!"

"I didn't make her take a cab I offered to drive her."

"From what I heard that would've been hell." He says shaking his head at me.

"I screwed up alright!? But it's not like it's real" 

"For fuck sake man" He says, stares into my souls and then walks away.

I have a work event I need to go to and need my 'girlfriend' to go with me. It's supposed to have major media coverage to get up the business and get my mother off my back. Asking her isn't going to be fun but it's a business deal we have.

Me: 'hey I have a work thing Wednesday and need you to be there.'

Eve🍁: 'fine.'

That was a very weird response from her. She's probably tiered and I need to work. I start to work but I'm distracted again I walk over to Ben's room.

"Heyyy ben I need a favour"

"Sure what's up?" He says looking up from his phone. His room is a mess.

"That app... Instagram. You're always on it I want it."

"You don't have Instagram? How do you...? Never mind. Okay give me your phone."

He starts pressing buttons and asks what I want as my username. I just tell him to use my name. He apparently used a great picture of him and me as my profile picture. I take my phone back and I don't want to ask for her username but I want it. 

"I already put it in, you can leave now. I also put mine and Dee's in."

"Who's?"

"Darcy's" oh we are on a nick-name basis are we?

I walk out of the room and sit down at my desk again. I search up how to find a profile and see hers. I tap on her name 'Evangeline_Danes' then I scroll through her pictures. I'm distracted yet again. She's always in my head. This event couldn't happen soon enough.

Evangeline's POV 

I was in the taxi payed for by Jaye looking out onto the city as privilege turned into home. It may not be lavish or expensive but there is a sense of community that lies in the depth of the poor side of the city. We pull up to my apartment and I thank the driver. I unlock the door and start walking up the many stairs because the lift is always broken. Perhaps I was reading into the situation far too much. I mean I thought the flirtatious remarks and comments to each other where hinted but maybe not. He lent towards me. That is the only thing that creates quarrel in my mind. These stairs are starting to feel like the ascent of Mount Everest. I reach the door and enter hoping I don't see anything that makes me want to gauge my eyes out with a fork. To my knowledge Ben did not return last night to his apartment so that leave me to guess he's here.

"It's Eve! Please don't be naked or anything." I hear laughing in the main room. There are only 3. The kitchen is linked directly to the living room with a tiny cupboard that was made into a bathroom. Our two rooms are small and we put a wardrobe into the living room to share.

I walk into the main room and see Ben and Dee on the sofa watching 'pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End'. The are cuddled up together under the blanket me and Dee crocheted when we didn't pay our gas on time.

"Heyyy sugar" Dee waves to me and elbows Ben in the chest.

"Owww, hey Evangeline." He says with a big smile.

"You two look cosy." They laugh and continue watching the movie. I begin to walk into my room when Dee interrupts me. She pauses her film.

"How was your day? You were at there apartment weren't you? You can't just skip all the dirty deets." She says sitting up. They both give me their full attention. Ben is obviously curious because Jaye isn't the type to open up. Learnt that the hard way.

I sigh and begin to tell the story.

"Oh hunny sit down." She pulls over a chair from our table that's falling apart and hands me a bowl of skittles. 

I tell her the rest of the story and she jumps up and hugs me. Ben shakes his head and says "sounds like something Jaye would do." He gets up and grabs his jacket and stuff looking like he's leaving.

"What are you doing?" Dee says "this is an important matter and not something to walk out on you muppet."

"I though you would wanna be alone together or something... like girls bonding" he defends himself.

"It's fine Ben you can go-" I'm interrupted.

"Absolutely not! We are having a movie night until that awkwardness has diffused from your memory. I'm thinking pretty woman and the notebook." 

"Classics" I say confirming her choices.

She shuffles up taps Ben down on one side of the sofa and wiggles into him. Then nods her head towards the space she's created on our little sofa for me. I love her. We sit there and watch my two favourite films ever made. I think she knows everything about me. Suddenly I'm not thinking about the moment we almost had and I start to believe it is really all fake. All a game to him. Well game on Mr Smith.