three buttons

Evangeline's POV

"Mhmm. So did I." Darcy says and we both laugh. Both guys are asleep and both our new pets are asleep. It's almost as if nothing could go wrong from here on out because life is at a perfect stopping point.

The next morning 

After waking up on the sofa, which was awfully uncomfortable, I hear faint noises coming from inside my room. I go up to the door and open it to see Eugene running out. He rubs against my fuzzy socks and I rummage through the boxes in the living room for some food. "Shhh Eugene you'll wake everyone up." I grab the bowl and place it onto the counter. I tear open the packet of wet food and mix it with some kibble. I place it down and he eats straight away. I also fill up his weird looking water bowl which has a switch. I turn it on and it starts acting as a water fountain. I read the instructions and apparently this is good for cats because it simulates what they would've drank in the wild. I wipe down the counter and poor myself a glass of orange juice, as I do Jaye emerges from my room. His hair is all messed up and it suits him. His shirt is unbuttoned by three buttons. I can't seem to take my eyes off of him. 

"Sorry I took your bed Eve." He says and snaps me out of my trance. I decide to poor him a glass to try and distract myself.

"It's fine, we have a nice sofa." Lie.

"I know you don't. That thing is on its last legs." He says. True. I pass him the glass and he shakes his head. "I'm alright." I raise an eyebrow at him and he takes it without further argument. Eugene comes up to the table and jumps onto the chair next to Jaye. He crawls onto his lap and Jaye doesn't even flinch.

"Aren't you going to flinch, gag or shove him away?" I ask knowing that Eugene has grown on him. 

"Huh?" He says stroking his head. I laugh and sit next to him.

"We need to discuss shared custody." I say grabbing a piece of paper that was lying around.

"No he's yours." He protests.

"But with Ben gone I'm sure you'll be lonely. You need someone stable in your life. So does he. He needs his daddy." I say.

"Could you say that again I wasn't listening." He asks putting his drink down and turning his whole body in my direction.

"Ugh... he needs his dadd-" I stop after realising my mistake and seeing his smirk. "Nice try." 

"So you'll take Monday to Thursday and I'll take Friday to Sunday." He says.

"Great so you get to be mr fun guy and I'm stuck with school runs and being the voice of reason." I say trying to hold back a laugh. He smirks and stands up handing Eugene back to me. He goes back into my room and grabs his jacket. I place Eugene back onto the floor and smile at Jaye sorting out his hair. I realise what I'm doing and grab the glasses to put into the sink. 

"Right then I'm off to work. When my brother deems it fit to come to work send him quickly." He says. He's always concerned with work. I saw him last night with his phone light working. It's all he ever does and I wonder if he'd ever stop.

"Off so soon?" I ask,

"Indeed." He says. "Be ready for tonight. It's not just a dinner it's a charity event. We're all on the same table so the Newley engaged will hopefully steal the attention. There will be a lot more media there because Ben is leaving a lot of broken hearts behind. You'll be getting a new vase that's worth a lot. It's the main event for tonight. There are six in total." 

"Fantastic" I say sarcastically. I grab Eugene and grab his paw to simulate a wave. Jaye waves back and leaves. 

Ten minutes later Darcy and Ben emerge all over each other. I grab the pen that I was writing up the joint fake custody agreement and mime stabbing it into my eye. I decorate the paper with doodles of hearts.