Walk away

Evangeline's POV 

"Okay remind me again why you are still doing this set up?" Dee says with a mouth full of popcorn continuing to watch Jerry Maguire. If I didn't want to get revenge I'd happily blow this off to watch this film.

"Revenge is best served cold hunny." I say putting on my heels. I turn to our mirror with a crack through the middle. I look at the blue silk dress and my hair which Dee curled slightly at the bottom.

"You look just darling" she says with a fake southern accent. I laugh and smooth over the dress one more time before my phone goes off.

"Give Tom Cruise my love. Bye!" 

"Bye sugar" she waved me off.

My phone goes off and I knew it was the spawn of Satan himself but I checked anyway.

'Shit on a stick💩': here.

'Me': okay.

I imitate his blunt message to show I mean business. I walked down the stairs because of that bloody lift. I leave the building and spot his stupid black car which is probably the coolest car I've ever seen. Damn his sexy car. I walk up to it and get in without a word. I turn my head to the window not making eyes contact. He sighs and I think he's hesitating because it takes him a while to pull out. His cologne affects my train of thought because it's one of those smells that just intoxicates you. I'm drunk on him and it pisses me off. 

We pull up to this massive office complex. The top of the building has been light up so I can only assume it's on the very top floor. Great. I didn't even bring a jacket. He parks the car and I attempt to open the door. Him and his bloody child lock. I sit there like a lemon waiting for him to come around and open the door for me. I step out of the car hoping I don't fall flat on my face. He puts his hand on the small of my back.

"Thanks for getting the door." I say trying to be as blunt as possible. He nods in response. Fine we aren't talking then. 

We enter the building after him buzzing in. I forget he's the future CEO. My feet a sore from the shift I just did so tonight is going to be long. I think about our rent and how we only have enough for another month and the thing going in between Jaye and I is going to carry on for 3 and a half more months. I'm going to get some money. If I'm going to play pretend then I'm going to do it looking good and that takes money. So if opportunity presents itself I will gladly take advantage of it.

We get into the lift and he clicks the top floor button. This is going to be an awkward few minutes of my life. I clear my throat and apparently that is an invitation to go through what's going to happen tonight.

"You and I will introduce ourselves to future investors and ones that are already invested. There's a red carpet, you can thank my mother for that, so there will be media coverage. Just smile and pretend we are happy. Talk to a few people on your own and we need to dance at least once. That kind of shit gets everyone going. You ready?" He questions me.

"Mhmm." I say walking out of the lift. I sigh and wait for him. 

He catches up and puts his hand on my waist. 'We are a normal couple'. I tell myself. I'll play the game but I will not be taken advantage of. 

Suddenly we are outside and a cacophony of noise and camera flashes blind and deafen me. Each one is calling Jaye's name questioning me. It's a lot but I smile trying not to overthink this. I whisper into his ear that I want to speed this up and he smiles at me pretending I said something flirty and we go towards the main event. 

I look around the top floor and see so many beautiful women giving me distasteful looks. Whispering to one another. I don't know what I did. This isn't fair but Ill play up to be the woman they think that I am. I run my hand down his chest and pull his tie down so his head is level with mine.

"Hey Mr Smith" I say. I don't want to talk to him but these women are pissing me off. It's been a long day.

"I can see what you're doing and whilst its cleaver they won't believe this little display of attraction. They need more." Shit he knows what I'm up to.

"Oh don't worry Jaye I have a whole game plan." I try to leave and he steals a kiss on the cheek. He can tell I'm lying but I need to think of something quickly so I don't look like a fool.

I walk towards the drinks and grab myself and Jaye one. What a good fake girlfriend I am. I smile at some of the women who eye me up and walk back over to him. I pass him a drink and he smiles at me. His smile disappears as soon as a grey haired man and a smaller brunette woman approach. He introduced me to them and it's like a chain reaction. I've shaken so many hands mine might fall off. My feet are killing me and all I can think about is sitting down. So I do. Fuck these people who won't even remember my name after tonight is over. I text Dee goodnight because she always goes to sleep early and im bored out of my mind. 

I look over and see that Becky girl from the ID we stole. She's all over Jaye and for some reason it infuriates me. She's gorgeous and has dyed her hair brown. Or maybe that's what it was like before and she dyed it. Shit why do I even care. I get up and walk over to the dance floor. The thing about these events is that a person can never truly be alone. Someone from the business world will always try and make connections. Always. 

"Eve right?" I turn around to find out who the voice belongs to. I see a blonde man who's probably 6 feet tall with these gorgeous blue or green eyes. 

"Yeah Evangeline but people call me Eve for short." 

"Pleasure all mine darling. I'm Aidan." 

"Nice to meet you Aidan" I say shaking his hand. 

We talk for a while and I keep laughing out load hoping it's loud enough for Jaye to be pissed off. He's genuinely a funny guy. I'm going to tell him what I do for work when someone takes my hand and spins me around into them. They whisper "got you now trouble" and I don't even need to see his face before I know it's Jaye. That whole action was hot. If I wasn't so adamant that Jaye is a total douche then I'd be drooling all over him. I take a step away from him but he still has a hand wrapped around my waist. 

"Jaye Smith?" Aidan asked.

"Yeah that's me. You are?" He questions. He definitely knows his name. He made it his job to know everyone's name here. I know this because he's asked for the guest list and that I peruse it before the event. I didn't.

"Aidan... Aidan King." He tries to jog Jaye's memory.

"Oh yeah well thanks for keeping my girlfriend company. You know when work calls it can take over."

"Girlfriend?" He says looking at me. I'm about to answer when Jaye interrupts.

"Hopefully something more before too long. You know how it is but yeah... girlfriend." I almost choke on air. 'Something more?'

"He hopes but I'm really looking for a man and Jaye can't offer me what I need" I say and I walk away.