My eyes

Evangeline's POV

I wake up to the sound of two people laughing. Eugene is by the door wanting out and I hear the Gilmore Girls intro music. Fucking stab me in the heart why don't you. I open my door and let Eugene out. I creep into the kitchen and pour some food into Eugene's bowl and shut him in so Poppy doesn't eat his food. Fucking Labradors. I walk back into the kitchen and poor myself some apple juice and toast some bread. As I'm getting down the Peanut butter I hear more giggles.

"Morning Eve." Dee says waving to me.

"Morning." Ben says as well.

"You two are just intolerable in the morning" I tease popping my head round the corner.

"Love you too." Dee responds blowing me a kiss.

My toast pops out and I put it on a plate, dropping it because it burnt the tip of my finger. I spread Peanut butter onto it and sit at the counter. The chairs are placed so that you can see into the living room. We positioned it so the sofa faces away from the kitchen so I can see their heads. We wanted a more closed off feel in a tiny space. We also wanted to be able to watch TV and eat in the kitchen. I bite into my toast and watch Ben and Darcy sitting together. Every now and again Ben doesn't watch Gilmore girls, an absolute crime, but instead watched Dee. I can see the way his face relaxes. When he turns his head, Darcy's turns to look at him. I've noticed how close they've been getting. It's almost as if they are in their own little romance movie and they fell in love so quickly. They got engaged after such a short time. Despite this they are insanely crazy about each other. I'm so very happy for them but I'm loosing her. She'll always be my best friend and hopefully that's reciprocated however, she's moving on with life. She's spending more and more time with him which is completely and utterly understandable but it's the little things. This house is no longer my home because Ben calls it home. Gilmore Girls is their show, not ours, and Poppy is their child. She's moved away from begging at my feet and is on the sofa, curled up with them. It's picturesque. A sense on solidarity washes over me as my best friend pulls away. I decide it's probably best to find a place for myself. I know Dee wants one child, a little girl, and I know she'd never live anywhere else because she's a hermit crab. I know Ben would do anything for her so this is where I see them staying.

I decide to leave this pity party for one and get Eugene ready. Before I place my plate into the kitchen sink the door knocks.

"I got it!" I say excitedly. It's the post man and I grab the package knowing what it is. "Have a nice day!" I say to him before shutting the door.

I tear it open and reveal the shirt for Eugene. It has my face on it saying 'I love my mummy'. I love it. I put him in it and because he's the best cat ever he's totally chill with it. I pack up some food and his essentials before we leave. I put him in my handbag because I've tried all modes of transportation and this is the only way he'd sit still. Some may say he's spoilt and I wouldn't argue.

"Bye!" I shout opening the door.

"Say hi to my brother for me." Ben shouts back.

"Don't give him the time of day" Dee responds. I hear argumentative words followed by laughs. I shut the door behind me and call an Uber to pick me up.

The taxi eventually arrives and I tell the woman driving Jaye's adress. I have it saved on my phone because he insisted. Apparently it's a place to go in case of emergencies or something. It takes 45 minutes before we pull up. There's a door man! A fucking doorman. I walk through the entrance and press the button to call for a lift. He has working lifts. I look at my phone and of course it's the tippy top apartment. I stroke Eugene as we ride the lift upwards. It opens with a ring and I get out. There's a small hallway before we get to his door. I knock and wait.