Harmony

A/N: This is set during high school, so Miles and the reader are both 15-16. 

Enjoy :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You'd been walking down the hallway, trying to find a place to eat during lunch. You didn't really have many friends. It'd pretty much always been that way. And that was probably never going to change.

The cafeteria was often packed full of people during lunch. Loud, obnoxious people. Your least favourite type. You'd tried so hard to get along with them, but all you got in return was mean looks and cruel gossip about you behind your back. What was even the point of making friends? You'd probably lose all contact with them after graduating, anyway.

Just then, as you turn the corner, you hear a soft melody emanating from the music room, and the sound makes you stop in your tracks The music room had always been your favourite place. Music was one of your passions, and everything in that room seemed so welcoming and familiar, you'd become quite attached to it. You'd always visit it after school, or during lunch. Though, you never thought someone would share the same interest as you.

You take a peek inside through the window. The classroom was just as cluttered and friendly-looking as you remembered, except.. There was someone inside, playing the piano. A boy, with grey hair, and equally grey eyes. He seemed to be focusing on the position of his hands as he played, his touch on the instrument calm, almost graceful. Just like the song he was playing.

Your curiosity got the better of you, and slowly, you opened the door, and it creaked as you opened it and it closed it again. You worried that he would notice he wasn't alone anymore and stop playing, but fortunately, he remained as concentrated as ever.

He finished the song with a beautiful chord, and you couldn't even bother hiding how impressed you were as you clapped. This very obviously catches him off-guard, and his head turns to where you were standing, his eyes wide with shock.

"H-How long have you been here..?"

"Oh, don't worry. I've only been here for about.. 5 minutes."

Shyly, you walk towards the bench where he's sitting in front of the piano, and he reluctantly moves and lets you sit beside him. You place one of your hands on the piano and mindlessly play a melody as you continue speaking. "You're very good at playing the piano."

"Ah.. Thank you."

As you trace your fingers along the black and white notes, a certain song comes to mind, and your hands are almost moving on their own as you position them on the piano. You take a deep breath, and begin playing.

You can basically feel his eyes on your hands as you play, and he continues watching curiously until you reach a certain part of the song, and suddenly, he joins in. You glance at him in surprise for a brief second, but quickly return to playing.

His melody and yours mix, creating a wonderful harmony. You'd played this song a million times, each time generating a different emotion, but this was something you'd never experienced before. The feeling of unity as you played with someone else, after a lifetime of doing everything on your own.. It was nicer than you initially thought.

Finishing off the song gracefully, you're left with a sense of satisfaction. It was certainly a unique moment, getting to play with someone as experience as you. You could barely hold back a smile as you looked at him. His cheeks were slightly red, and he refused to meet your gaze, but he still had that same monotone expression on his face.

"How come you haven't smiled at all?" You ask, your head tilted in confusion.

"Hm?"

"You haven't smiled at all, ever since I came here. You didn't smile when I complimented your skills, or when we finished playing.. I-I'm not bothering you, am I?"