From the bottom of my heart

A/N: Hello, my wonderful readers! I'd like to apologize because it's been so long since I last updated. I started school again recently and it's been nothing short of stressful, I've had no time or energy to actually sit down and write. Don't worry, I'm not gone forever, but updates won't be as regular as usual, unfortunately.

And I apologize if this is kind of mediocre, I may or may not have gotten a little rusty lmao.

Enjoy! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The prosecutor is awoken by the gentle stream of sunbeams peeking through the half-closed window curtain.. and the brash sound of the front door closing.

Drowsily, he picks up his phone from its place on the polished mahogany nightstand beside him, and with the two quick taps, the screen lights up, blinding his sleepy eyes with bright light.

                                                                                      8:37 am
                                                                              Sunday, May 15

Right, he'd forgotten.

Today was a special day to some, but not him.

Today was his birthday.

He still remembered how miserable birthdays, holidays and celebrations were back when he lived in the von Karma residence. So dull, traditional and utterly boring it was hard to smile, let alone enjoy it. Ever since he moved out, he never bothered much with days such as these.

But that mentality of his slightly changed when he met you. Only slightly.

Sure, he went out on cute dates with you on Valentine's Day, or reluctantly complied to wear ugly matching sweaters on Christmas Day, but if he ever did anything to even mildly celebrate a holiday, it was purely out of devotion to you and your cheery holiday spirit. He never actually wanted to do all these cheesy things you seemed to enjoy so much.

Stretching as he groggily got out of bed, he fully opened the curtain, the sun only blinding him further, and as his eyes adjust to his surroundings, he spots two birds chirping together on a nest. They were high up on the branch of his favourite tree in the garden, a pine tree that always gave off a calmingly natural scent of forest during the fall, and guarded you with shade during blaring hot summer days.

How ironic, he thought, the day looks wonderful, but I doubt I'll do much with it.

Or at least, that's what he thought.

Because, on the other hand..

*

"Now, what gift should I give him this year..?" You thoughtfully hum to yourself, reading over your list of possible gifts. A watch, a new pair of glasses, a jacket.. No matter how hard you tried, none of it really seemed good enough. These were all such menial things, so material, lacking meaning, that you'd rather give them to him as a nice gesture rather than a birthday present.

..Lacking meaning, huh? You catch yourself thinking. Meaning. Something that comes from the heart, full of emotion. None of these simple items held any sort of meaning for either of you, so really, how much value did they truly have? 

Then you think back on the poem Miles wrote you for Valentine's Day this year. To a stranger, it might just be scribbles on paper, it would hold no meaning. But to you, it meant the world. Because you knew it probably took him hours to come up with, because you knew it came from the heart.

And that's when you decided to scrap the gifts list, and make something yourself. Something that would truly mean something to him. Something that would come from the very bottom of your heart.