Chapter Eleven: A Dæmon

"This is Kianna Skywalker, sister of the late Anakin Skywalker. If you can hear this message, then you have survived Order 66," I said, speaking into a broadcast that I was putting out on the Jedi broadcast. "The government of the galaxy is now in disarray, as the Senate is gone and the Temple burned. Beware, the villains who have done this are not of this world. Be careful. However, if you can, please meet me at the ruins of the Temple tomorrow at 1500. Remember, the Force will be with you, always." I took one of Obi-Wan's lines that I remembered. Rowan, Katooni, and I had agreed that it would be easier to schedule a quick meeting place so we didn't have to scour the galaxy for all the remaining Jedi.

"I wonder how many are going to answer the call," Katooni said. "Your influence could call in a great number of Jedi."

"It all depends on how many are left," I sighed. "I will be, um, thinking in my quarters. Tell me if there are any updates. Rowan, where did you place my room?"

"Down the hall to your left," she replied. I nodded and left. I sat down on a mattress in my chamber and debated my next decision. Should I... no, you don't need her. She's a vulnerability. She's the only one who you connect with. She's a partner, and knows what you're going through. But still... you need her. I made up my mind and steadied myself for the next part. I connected deep within myself and uncovered a part I had kept hidden for a while. I called a name, a name that I had not spoken since the far days of my past, when I'd first had her.

"Saqqara, are you there?"

"I'm always with you. And it's about time." I felt a weight on my shoulder that had not been there previously, and looked. There she was, my dæmon, Saqqara, the physical form of my soul. She could shapeshift, which was amazing, considering that she probably shouldn't be able to, but I suppose since I was a shapeshifter, she was too. She was in a ferret form, currently.

"I'm sorry, 'Qara, I just thought-"

"That I was a vulnerability. Don't forget, I'm you." I sighed.

"I'm sorry, 'Qara, I really am. I just... need someone who knows."

"You're the one who hid me away in a dark place for ages." Saqqara complained. "But still... I know everything." Saqqara turned into a small purple-tinted kitten and nestled her head on my shoulder. I let tears fall that I had held back before. So much had changed too fast. I didn't like it at all. Thankfully, I had Saqqara. She had become a part of me when I had dropped into the world of Lyra just to explore. After a quick run-in with some Spectres on Cittàgazze, I hadn't gone back. Saqqara had stuck with me until I had hid her away after a close encounter that almost had me paralyzed when Saqqara had accidentally been shot.

My door opened, and I hastily wiped away my tears, standing up with now loth-wolf Saqqara at my side. Katooni was standing in the doorway.

"You okay?" she asked. "And is that a loth-wolf?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I replied. "This is my dæmon, Saqqara. She's the physical manifestation of my soul, essentially, and she can shapeshift into whichever animal." Katooni remained gaping at 'Qara. "So, what were you visiting me for?"

"Oh yeah," Katooni said, breaking out of her trance. "There are some new arrivals. Well, I wouldn't say some, more like a million."

****************************************************

I peered out over a new balcony. Thousands and thousands of people were checking out their surroundings. I knew where they were from. Elves, hobbits, Men, and Grisha.

"I assume Middle-Earth and Ravka were attacked," I remarked. "Where's Rowan?"

"Totally out of it," Katooni said. "She teleported all them in two goes. My guess is that she'll be unconscious and resting for about 24 hours."

"Oh jeez," I sighed. "Poor Rowan. Hopefully she's already expanded enough to fit everybody."

"I think she has. Check outside."

"There's an outside now?"

"Got to be. She also made a war room. I've told the leaders to convene there and for everyone else to settle in, which is why the room is emptying." Katooni was right. The room was slowly starting to clear out with people dispersing.

 "All right. Tell them I'll be there." I said. "I can find my way." I wandered throughout the corridors and passed open room by open room. Rowan had seriously expanded. This was practically a dimension now. With a pang, I noticed the meditation rooms were completely empty. I hoped that they would be filled by the evening tomorrow. I stopped by a large room and peeked in. The war room, and it looked amazing. It looked like the war room in the Temple, but with a long table down the middle. It wasn't filled with Jedi. It was filled with leaders of all sorts, Elves, elves from the Lost Cities, Grisha, wizards, witches, and so forth. I took a deep breath and let the door whoosh open in front of me.