Chapter Twenty-Five: Trackdown

For the next day or so, I went around the complex making sure I planted a single tracker on every person. It was super hard, but I managed to finally do it after making sure I got everyone. Rowan and I monitored them in a secret room we had. No one was above suspicion.

"Oh look, there's Kaelith and Tam sneaking off again," I said, looking at the huge map of trackers. A lot of people were in the training room, meditating, or in the mess hall grabbing a snack. I kept watching, and at exactly 1200, the tiny circles indicating people moved toward the mess hall for lunch. Two people broke away from the group, though. Amyshi Ellenewl and Katooni. Rowan and I studied their circles, watching them. The two Jedi made their way to the War Room, where they stayed there.

"I'm going to go check up on that," I said to Rowan. She nodded, and I slipped out the door and snuck quietly to the War Room. I stayed close to the door and listened to them.

"What else have they done?" a voice asked.

"The usual," a voice replied. Amyshi, I thought. "Relief efforts. They're getting stronger, though. Everyone is."

"They're tunneling downhill, though," Katooni remarked. "At the rate they're going, they'll be surrendering in another couple months."

"Good, very good," the voice praised. I suddenly recognized it. Palpatine. "Make sure they stick to that path. Soon, they will be crushed. You chose the right side."

"Ha," Amyshi said, probably nodding. "Glad we did. Nice work, Aure." I realized the transmission ended, and snuck back down the hall to Rowan before they could spot me. Amyshi and Katooni, traitors? Or rather, Katooni-not-Katooni. It was Aure Kynnovan, one of Katooni's close friends. She must have died, then joined the Villains and impersonated Katooni. But when would Katooni have been switched out? And Amyshi. She had always been a dark person and quite moody. She always faded into the background, which was probably best for this sort of thing. I sighed. Sometimes corruption could work its way quite subtly. I slipped back into the room.

"Well?" she asked.

"They're traitors," I said. "Except it's not Katooni. It's Aure, Aure Kynnovan."

"But how..." Rowan trailed off. "When Kaelith was captured. They must have made the switch then."

"Aure looks a lot like Katooni, they're the same species and same tentacle color and everything like that. I suppose it would have been quick," I thought, sighing.

"And Katooni?" Rowan asked.

"We're getting her back," I replied. "Obviously."

"We need to get Aure and Amyshi as quickly as possible," Rowan said. "Focus on getting Katooni and I'll get Aure and Amyshi."

"Got it. May the Force be with you."

"And you as well."