Chapter Eighteen: The Lost

"It's who?" Rowan asked, shocked.

"Kaelith Craybra, Shahanda's Padawan," I groaned. "I should've known. Kaelith's specialty is mind tricks."

"Are we going to confront her?" Rowan asked.

"Soon," I said. "For now, we'll track her. I don't want to try and get her while she's on guard. She will be, after I ran into her in the hallway. However, if she's on guard the whole day, and no one seems to suspect her, she'll slowly let it down again. Once that happens, we'll sneak in and catch her."

****************************************************

Late that night, around midnight, I snuck quietly throughout the hallways, barefoot for noise prevention, given my boots would be just the slightest bit too loud. The tiniest squeak could give me away. I stuck to the shadows and crept silently up to Kaelith's room, which Rowan gave me the location of. The door whooshed open quietly, and I slid in. Kaelith launched on her feet, igniting her blue lightsaber.

"Who's there?" she asked. Then I struck, quick as lightning, kicking her in the chest, then, while she was winded, knocked her lightsaber out of her hand and covered her mouth with my hand, igniting my purple lightsaber at the same time.

"Don't try to call for help, Craybra," I hissed. "You'll regret it if you do." Kaelith was trembling under my fingers. I let go of her mouth.

"What are you doing?" Kaelith whimpered.

"The plans," I replied coolly. "I know you stole them."

"What plans?" Kaelith asked. "I didn't steal anything!"

"You're one of the top Jedi when it comes to mind tricks," I snarled. "You said you came back from the war room. Perhaps you had taken a quick trip to the Portal Room... to Obsidia."

"I would never!" Kaelith whispered. "My allegiance is only to the Jedi."

"Funny," I said. "As the Order is gone."

"Please," Kaelith pleaded, "I'm innocent! I swear, I have nothing to do with this!"

"Fine, then," I replied. "Say I believe you. What's your alibi?" Kaelith shrunk away, looking terrified. "Huh. No alibi? Then I suppose you're a traitor."

"No, no, no! Wait!" Kaelith cried out.

"Something to say?"

"Okay, okay, okay, I'll explain," Kaelith surrendered. I raised an eyebrow. "I've... been seeing someone. We sneak out occasionally, to be together. That's where I was coming back from." I raised both eyebrows.

"Alright," I said, putting away my lightsaber. "Who?" Kaelith hesitated. "Kaelith, who?"

"Song," Kaelith whispered. "Tam Song. Please don't tell anyone. It's supposed to be secret, and my master wouldn't like it." My jaw dropped.

"You're joking," I said in awe. Kaelith shook her head. "No wonder he wanted to keep it secret. Jeez, who knew that guy would get a Jedi for a partner... I'm checking, though, but I believe you." Once I compared Kaelith and Tam's personalities, I kind of understood. But an elf from the Lost Cities with a Jedi... sheesh! That is a powerful couple, especially considering that Tam's a Shade.

"You have my deepest apologies, Kaelith," I said. "Have you seen anything, anything suspicious around last night?" Kaelith hesitated again. "Kaelith, if you've seen anything, you must tell me."

"I saw someone that night," Kaelith said quietly. "While I was heading back to my room. It was..." I waited.

"Kaelith, who was it?" I asked with a feeling of apprehension.