Chapter Thirty-Two: The Final Battle

"Remember, the people we are fighting are friends, family, lovers," I said to everyone. I had showed them holograms of who to kill and who not to kill. I knew that eventually, we would figure out how to get our friends back. I didn't want one of them killed because someone didn't know better. "Don't save yourself only to cause someone else pain.

"We have been preparing for this day for ages. Let us reap the rewards. Let us avenge what we lost. Let us take back what's ours!" I ended with a fist in the air to thunderous applause and cheers. I felt rejuvenated, my powers feeding me after days without them. I turned to Rowan.

"We're ready."

****************************************************

After somehow managing to get about two-thirds of our soldiers through the doors to Obsidia, we marched to the camp under the cover of darkness. I walked with Rowan at my side, the army trailing us. I looked back a couple of times, slightly comforted by the amount of people that we had. Then I promptly reminded myself of how many more people the enemy had, and to be prepared for a fierce battle. I held up a hand to halt the army, then peered over the edge of the cliff carefully. Almost immediately, a bright green Killing Curse, an arrow, and a throwing star whizzed past my face, the arrow managing to lightly scratch my cheek. I threw my head back and whipped toward Rowan.

"We need to draw them out of there," I said. "That way we're not at a disadvantage." She nodded hurriedly and gestured at our first wave of people to follow me. As the rest of our army defended against the enemy, I went around the valley and dropped down behind someone. They turned, and it was poor Neville Longbottom.

"Oh gods, sorry Neville," I whispered a quick apology before knocking him out before he could even pull out his wand. I briefly gestured to the others to drop down. And so it begins. I fought hard, recognizing so many people and old friends. Annabeth. Marella. Luna. Nilliu Leeth, one of Shahanda's other Padawans before Kaelith came along. Then I saw one of our major enemies. The Darkling. I swore.

"Darkling!" I yelled in warning before ducking behind a pillar. Only way to evade the Cut is to be out of sight. One misstep, one giveaway, and I would be sliced in half. Instant, painful death. I managed a tiny peek before decidedly hiding again. I peeked again before I made a break for it. I was silent, quick. I got closer and closer before he acknowledged my existence.

"Kianna Skywalker," he said in a sly voice. No point in hiding anymore. I stepped out, killing a clone with my sabers before speaking as the battle raged around us. He wants to make my death slow. That's why he hasn't used the Cut already. Well, that desire would be his downfall.

"Too bad you couldn't stay down in —" I interrupted myself with a quick thrust of my purple lightsaber. The Darkling narrowly avoided getting speared.

"Please don't tell me that's all you've got, Sun Summoner," he said, spitting out my Grisha name like it was a disease. I whirled, slashed, and parried as we fought. Then I finally got beneath his skin.

"Alina," I whispered fiercely. "I think one of my soldiers is taking care of her right now." I knew that that job was left to Tam as our resident shadow master, and I knew that very deep down, the Darkling had a small soft spot for her.

"How would you like to see that? Aleksander." I spoke his name that slid from my tongue like a snake. For a brief second, he faltered, and I took advantage of that opportunity and shoved my lightsaber through his heart. His eyes widened slightly, and the Darkling crumpled to the ground. I stood over him with a tiny bit of pity in my eyes.

"That was for Baghra, and Alina, and all people who suffered under you," I hissed, and ran back to join the battle.

****************************************************

It took a few hours and a lot of hard fighting, but we managed to drive everyone out of the narrow valley and into the open plain, where the rest of our army that we brought was fighting. Quickly, though, I knew we needed reinforcements. For every soldier I took down, three more replaced them. Sure, I could fight for quite a while longer, but I knew that other soldiers could be tiring. Using signals that passed around the battlefield, we backed away slowly. Except for me. I was stuck in combat. As I blocked and parried lightsaber strikes from a random Jedi, he suddenly backed away. I stared in surprise and confusion. Then I heard a lightsaber behind me. I turned around and quickly stopped myself from being killed. Anakin. My brother was fighting me. We knew each other so well, so it was hard to win. I fought and searched for an opening, however small, in Anakin's defenses. Finally I found one, grabbed his wrist, and sharply hit him on the head with the hilt of my lightsaber. He slumped to the ground

"Kianna!" Rowan yelled. "We've got to go! Don't get left behind!" I turned to leave, but then turned back. All I could see was my brother. All I could think about was that I was leaving him behind. I ran back and started dragging Anakin with me.

"Cover me!" I shouted to Rowan. She did so excellently, until I was with the crowd. And then we ran.