Chapter Thirty-Eight: Fresh Start

I practically flew down the hallways all the way to the hospital wing and glowed with enormous joy. I could see people sitting up in their beds and talking to each other. It was a much bigger space than before. I said hi to everyone possible and made my way to a corner, where I could see my best friends. I could see Ahsoka as she conversed animatedly with Sophie. She paused abruptly, seeing me, and Sophie turned around to see why Ahsoka had stopped talking all of a sudden. Her eyes widened, and suddenly both girls were dashing toward me and scooping me up into a giant hug.

"Oh my gods, Kianna!" both girls exclaimed happily. I embraced them back just as fiercely.

"I missed you both so much," I whispered. "You've been gone for too long."

"I cannot believe all that's happened," Sophie said. "It's all a bit of a blur, but I remember some things. Like... torturing you." She turned away. I could tell she was crying.

"Hey," I said. "Don't feel bad. It's okay now. We won."

****************************************************

I spent a lot of time with my friends, meeting up with everyone again. It felt like old times. I nearly forgot that everyone I was talking to had been dead at one point, had fought me at one point. Then I started noticing the glances. The whispering, the fearful look. The people who parted the way as I walked down. They weren't watching in respect, but fear. I voiced my concerns to Rowan.

"What's happening? The war is won, the evils are either dead or dispersed, we've done everything. All that's left is to rebuild. What have they to fear?" Rowan was quiet.

"Rowan?" I asked, fearing what she was going to say next. "Rowan, what's wrong?"

"It's not the evil that we defeated that's leaving a shadow," she said softly. "It's you."

"Me?" I asked confusedly. "Why me?"

"I heard people talking about you," she said. "Nearly everyone's afraid."

"Because I lost control?" I whispered.

"Yes," Rowan replied. "Those spirits inside you, they have a lot of power. Enough to destroy this place and beyond. Everyone's scared and wondering if something like what happened on Obsidia will happen again."

"But..." I started. Then I realized something. I was a weapon, a tool. Someone could use me, break me enough to destroy the worlds. I could. I knew it was possible.

"Then I'll relinquish them," I said. "I'll get rid of my powers." For a second, Rowan stared at me in disbelief.

"Why? They've protected you for nearly your entire life," Rowan said, still in shock. "They're a part of you."

"We cannot have peace as long as people are still fearful," I said. "We cannot have peace as long as there's a chance that it can all come undone in a moment. Can you do it?" Rowan was silent for a minute.

"Yes," she finally replied. "There are some things I cannot get rid of, though. Mother Talzin is more experienced in this than me."

"Like..." I prompted.

"Your connection to the Force, your father's blood," she responded. "Those are entrenched too deeply in you." I nodded.

"Can you get rid of my spirits?" I asked. Rowan nodded. "Then please, do it."

"Everything else besides the powers I listed will still be taken away," she said quietly. "Are you sure?"

"As I've ever been," I replied.

"Then meet me in my room. I'll do it there," Rowan said, walking out of the room, probably wondering why she ever agreed to this life. For the millionth time, I was grateful that Rowan was still here. She had been slayed by the adventure undertaken to unveil the Cursed Vaults. Of all the people, I had thought my whole life that she deserved more. And now she was here, seeing new sights with powers far beyond what she had ever dreamed.

And yet, I knew she still wanted to teach at Hogwarts. She was going to leave, after the war was over, to teach for the remainder of her new life. She wanted to take over for Binns and make History of Magic more interesting. Understandable. I tried to listen to Binns and fell asleep.

"Come on," Rowan said, taking my arm and guiding me to her room. "Same process. Are you still sure?" I nodded, and prepared myself for the inevitable feeling that would come next.

****************************************************

I woke up with the sense of loss. It wasn't as bad, and when I looked in a mirror, I looked the same. Purple hair, purple eyes, but I saw something different. Wisdom. I looked older, more tired. War ages us all. I thought sadly. Then I opened a back door out of Rowan's room and stepped outside, breathing in the air. We were finally free.