Chapter Twenty-Two: The Switch

Time passed by quickly. Within fifteen minutes, I mobilized the team that had captured Shahanda.

"We need a good plan this time," Reyna said. "It can't be all stealth because they'll be expecting us to rescue her."

"We could have a bit of stealth and a major distraction," Ginny remarked. Biana's eyes lit up.

"What about a prisoner exchange?" she asked. We all stared in shock at her.

"We can't give up Shahanda!" I exclaimed. "That would be costly, especially with how much information she holds."

"No, I don't mean actually give her up," Biana said quickly. "I mean a spy. Someone who could stay on the inside, pose as Shahanda, and give away fake information. Or whoever it is could give away real information with no actual meaning." Now we were staring at her in awe.

"That's brilliant," Ginny said. "That's bloody brilliant."

"I only have one problem," Zoya said. "How do we know that they're going to take her, accept the trade?"

"Because they're desperate for answers," I replied.

"Answers that Kaelith might have already given up," Zoya pressed.

"Jedi are trained to resist pain and interrogation," I said, making it clear that that was my final word.

"So, we've got that all sorted," Della chimed in. "How are we going to disguise the person?"

"Simple," Biana replied. "Festival Day." We looked at her blankly.

"It's something like you mortals' Halloween," Della explained.

"We dress up as other people," Biana clarified. "I made a run to Slurps and Burps, the apothecary, and grabbed a lot of transformation potions. I bet I have some potions that can make someone look like Shahanda, except I'll have to tweak them so that they grow tentacles, not hair."

"And Genya can do the rest," Zoya put in. "She can change an appearance for up to three weeks , but I'm sure she can do something to make it stick for a lot longer."

"Okay," I said. "Who's going to pose as Shahanda?" There was a pause, then I added, "I can."

"No," Ginny said. "You need to stay here, lead the army. I can do it."

"It has to be someone who knows Shahanda well," Zoya said. "They have to be convincing, enough that they can fool the villains. Since we're ruling out Kianna, is there anyone else who knows her?"

"Well..." Katooni thought for a moment. "There was Ashalla Solwinn. She was close to Shahanda until they each got Padawans, and kind of drifted away from each other."

"Great," I said. "I'll ask her after this. Any questions?" The group was silent. "Excellent. I think this is a win-win."

****************************************************

Thank the gods Ashalla said yes. We then undertook the longest process of transforming Ashalla into Shahanda. Considering the fact that Ashalla is a Twi'lek and Shahanda is a Mikkian, it took a really long time. Finally, with Genya passed out cold in a chair and several empty potion bottles littered around a desk, Ashalla Solwinn was now Shahanda Souhone.

"Wow," Ashalla said. "Those tweaked potions really are great."

"Here," I said, handing her a tiny purse. "It has an Undetectable Extension Charm on it and is filled with enough potions to last you a year. It was easy when you could clone them."

"Thanks," she said, tucking it into a pocket of her dirtied uniform. Ashalla took a deep breath.

"Are you ready?" I asked. "We're just about to go, Rowan's extended the invitation, and the time's coming up."

"Yeah," Ashalla said. She was shaking with nervousness.

"Hey," I said, putting a hand on her shoulder, "it's gonna be all right. You know Shahanda the best besides me, and you'll do great." Ashalla exhaled.

"Let's go. Shouldn't keep the others waiting," she said. We walked together to the Portal Room and met the others.

"You ready?" Katooni asked. Ashalla nodded.

"Let's go," I said, and linking hands with the others, stepped through the door to Obsidia.

****************************************************

The vast plain of Obsidia awaited us as we appeared on the landscape. In utter silence, we put Ashalla in handcuffs and started walking her in front of us, a gun pressed in her back. It was a total act, but if we didn't have that, it really wouldn't be convincing at all. We started walking. Each of us knew the risk, especially Ashalla. She would suffer the most if any of the villains found out who she really was. At last, we approached the base. A platoon of soldiers were waiting for us, and I saw Fintan leading them.

"Kianna Skywalker," he said as he saw me. "A pleasure, I suppose, considering you brought our comrade."

"Not a pleasure to see you at all," I replied. It really wasn't.

"Well, you go first," he said.

"Kaelith first," I countered.

"How about at the same time?" Fintan replied. I considered that for a moment, then nodded. We uncuffed Ashalla, and Fintan brought Kaelith forward. I gasped. She was a wreck. Her arms and legs were completely burned, the flesh charred. Her face was covered in dirt and from what I saw, she was constantly groaning in pain. At the same time, Fintan took Ashalla's arm and released Kaelith to us, nearly throwing her.

"Good luck healing her," he said, and with that, he was gone with Ashalla. May the Force be with you. I thought. Then I turned my attention back to Kaelith.

"My gods, Kaelith," I said in horror. "What did they do to you?" Kaelith turned and groaned.

"We should get her to the medical bay," Reyna said. "Those are pretty bad burns."

"And I think I know exactly who did them," I said, looking at the spot where Fintan was just standing, glaring at it. Biana put a hand on my shoulder.

"You'll avenge her," she said. "You will."

"I am planning on it," I replied. "He will pay." Suddenly there was a blaster shot. I heard it, but didn't duck in time. It would have completely missed me, if not for something perching on my shoulder. Saqqara.