Chapter 19 - Filling in the Gaps

PLEASE READ: Hello friends! So the next chapter will be the final one. Unless I post a note at a later time stating otherwise, I will not be writing a sequel. I apologize but I simply do not have the time or interest to pursue this story further. I am working on a new Larry fic though that at some point will be posted and I will alert you here once I do. So thank you for your continued support and without further ado, here is chapter 19!

&&&

Louis had turned himself in. Harry could hear the sirens and knew what purpose they served even before the coppers stormed in and took Louis out in handcuffs. Harry hid under his bed for most of the proceedings and only came out from underneath the bed through the coaxing of Nurse Edwards.

"Come on, love," she said, soothingly. "Don't do this to yourself."

A steady stream of tears continued to flow down Harry's cheeks. He had his hands pressed over his ears trying to block out the sound of the sirens even though they were long gone. His Louis was gone and he would probably never see him again...

"He did what had to be done," persisted Nurse Edwards. "He hurt you, Harry —"

Harry glared venomously at her and she seemed to get the hint. He would not hear a bad word about Louis no matter how wrong his actions were.

"Please get back in bed," she said, changing course. "It's all dusty under there." As if on cue, Harry sneezed and grumbling, allowed her to pull him out from under the bed.

After he was situated under the covers again, there was a knock on the door followed by two men entering. Detective Sergeant Higgins and Detective Inspector Cowell. Perhaps the last people Harry wanted to see considering they were the ones who put him in this hellhole.

"Mr. Styles," greeted both men, seemingly unfazed by Harry's narrowed eyes.

DI Cowell turned to Nurse Edwards appraisingly.

"If you could step out ma'am, we would like to ask Mr. Styles some questions."

"Now isn't a good time," said Nurse Edwards defiantly. Harry never appreciated her more.

"I'm afraid that is not for you to decide Nurse..."

"Edwards," she said, shortly. "I'm sorry Detective Inspector, but with all due respect, do you hold a medical license?"

"No, of course not."

"Then, as someone who does, it is my obligation to inform you given my professional medical opinion that Harry is not fit to undergo any cross examination."

"We're operating under a tight schedule —"

"It's not my prerogative to worry about your 'tight schedule,' Detective Inspector. My concern is caring for my patients to the fullest extent and that includes not allowing them to be put in any strenuous situation that may prove detrimental to their health."

DS Higgins put a hand on his partner's shoulder to prevent him from arguing further.

"We'll be outside. If you could inform us of who to talk to so that we can set up an appointment with Mr. Styles when he is fit to speak with us it would be appreciated."

"I'd be delighted to but I'm afraid that your appointment might be somewhat delayed, Detective Sergeant," said Nurse Edwards, more kindly to DS Higgins.

"What do you mean?"

"What I mean is that Mr. Styles is currently mute."

Anger flashed in DI Cowell's eyes.