Chapter 20 - Stockholm Syndrome

So, the final chapter is here. This is it - no epilogue. I hope you all enjoy the end of the story and don't hate me TOO much. I will have another, more detailed note at the end of the chapter. So without further ado, enjoy xx.

&&&

"So, how'd the questioning go?" asked Niall. He was sat across from Harry, who was rocking back and forth in his rocking chair.

That's a loaded question.

Niall looked at his best mate concerned so Harry elaborated.

For the most part the questioning was fine. It was only DS Higgins who came, thankfully. But by the end he told me something about Louis that Louis had never told me.

"What was it?"

Harry swallowed.

He told me that Louis had a case of mild schizophrenia.

Niall's eyes widened as he read what Harry had written on the page. He then looked up at the green-eyed lad.

"He never told you?" Harry shook his head. "It doesn't make what he did right, H."

It doesn't make him solely responsible though. He wasn't getting the help he needed, so he couldn't control himself when he would get angry.

"It doesn't change what we know though, H. The more you try to convince yourself that he had little responsibility, the harder it's going to be to face that he's going to be locked away for a long time."

Harry remained silent, not bothering to respond to Niall. Sensing this, the blond boy swiftly changed the subject.

"Have Anne and Gemma –?" Harry simply shook his head. "I'm sorry, H. I thought once I gave them the sheet that they would be less on edge about the whole thing."

It's not your fault, Ni. If they're so disgusted with me then I'd prefer them keeping their distance. It's not like I have anything to say to them.

"Don't be like that, H. They love you."

You keep saying that, but I'm still waiting for them to show any indication of it.

"They'll come to eventually. You're going to be leaving soon, aren't you?"

Harry nodded.

Apparently I'm still sick enough to be having therapy sessions with Dr. Malik but not sick enough to take up space here. Go figure. Niall snorted.

I'm not going home though.

"What?" said Niall sharply. Harry stared at him blankly. "What do you mean you're not going home? Where are you going?"

Anywhere else. I don't belong there, Niall. If they can't get out of their own way to visit me here what makes you think things will be any better at home?

"Mate, this place is bloody depressing."

Yeah, trying living here 24/7.

"Sorry H, I didn't –" Harry just shook his head. Niall was silent for a moment before he blurted out, "Do you wish that you had never left Louis?"

Harry sighed, running a hand through his too long hair. He needed a haircut when he got out of here.

Will you hate me if I say the wrong thing?

"I could never hate you, H. You and I both know that."

I'm sorry. How rotten of a best mate am I?