Chapter 16

One year later
————————————-

I changed out of my work uniform in the bathroom then met Scarlett in the parking lot in front of her car.

As I walked up to her, I noticed her wedding ring glimmering in the setting sun.

"Hey Mol, need a ride to your house?" She asked.

"No thanks Scar, you can go on home. I'm supposed to meet Johnny at the lake."

A big grin grew across her face.

"What?" I laughed.

"Nothin." She snickered. "I better get home and start getting dinner ready for Darry."

"See you later shit face."

"Later, asshole."

I laughed and shook my head as I started walking out of the parking lot. Before I got far, Scarlett got in her car and roared the engine a few times. I stuck my tongue out at her and continued walking.

By the time I made it to the lake, the sun had fully set. It was still a little light out.

Johnny was sitting on the edge of the dock, shoes dangling over the water. But then I noticed along both sides of the dock, was rows of lit candles, and more where he was sitting.

"What's this for?" I laughed.

He turned to face me at the sound of my voice.

"Hey babydoll."

"Hello Johnny cakes."

I sat down beside him and he put an arm around me.

"You're so beautiful." He said, as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

And I still get those stupid butterflies.

We leaned close to one another and pressed our foreheads together. We stayed like that awhile.

"You never thought you'd get this hooked, did you?" I teased.

"I had no idea you'd be this important to me when we met."

Johnny's pov:

We kept our heads pressed together a moment longer, soaking up the silence of the night and the presence of each other.

I held both Molly's hands in mine and stood up. She took it as a sign to stand up with me, and she did, keeping our hands interlocked together.

She seemed a little confused. She must have noticed I'd gotten nervous.

I looked at her a moment longer and noticed the stars in her eyes, the way they still shine the same. The constellations grace her cheeks, and the glow of the moon is trapped in the strands of her hair.

The suns glow was hidden behind the hills and trees by now. The stars had begun to shine, just like every other time when I have Molly right in front of me. Looking at me the way she does. With the same stars in her eyes she's had since i've met her a year ago.

"Molly Grace," I began. "I've always known that you are the girl I love. The girl I want to spend every starry night with, and all the bright mornings. I want to see your starry eyes for everyday of the rest of my life. If I didn't, I think i'd go crazy. To be with you, that's all I want. You are anything, everything, and always to me."

I got down on one knee with the ring in my hands and watched as her face was plastered with a big smile in the matter of seconds.

"Molly Grace, will you marry me?"

She eagerly nodded her head and managed to let out a small, "Yes!"

I shot up from the ground and pulled her close to me. I then kissed her like I never had before. We pulled away after a moment and I slid the silver ring on her finger. She pulled me back in immediately and kissed me once more.

Molly's pov:

There was so many emotions running through me. Excitement, mostly.

Then it hit me.

Is this why Scarlett was laughing at me earlier today?

I pushed away the thought and decided i'd yell at her later.

Right now, i'm savoring the moment the best man in my entire life had just proposed to me.

It seemed in that moment, the stars shined brighter.

The stars shine when we're together because the moon knows we're in love.

After all, he is my Starboy.