The Response

Armin: (Narration) Year 845. The Colossal Titan and the Armored Titan appeared out of nowhere. Instantly, the walls were shattered, along with the illusory peace of everyday life.
Mankind abandoned Wall Maria. They lost a fifth of their population and a third of their territory as human activity was pushed back to Wall Rose. Then, in Year 850, in Trost, mankind permitted the Titans to encroach further yet. Eren Yeager, despite having been eaten by a Titan, suddenly reemerged from a mysterious Titan's corpse.

Scene change within the walls. Eren, Mikasa, and Armin are surrounded and backed against a wall.

Kitz: I'll ask you once again! What are you?!

Eren: I'm human!

Kitz: I see... Don't think badly of me.

Kitz raises his arm to signal the cannons to shoot.

Eren: Ah!

Scene change within the walls. The young soldiers are gathered. Daz is having an existential crisis.

Daz: Marco... No... I can't fight the Titans anymore!

Marco: What's gotten into you?

Daz: My comrades were devoured right in front of me! They got eaten, yet I felt neither hate nor sadness! I was just thankful that it wasn't me! But I'll be next. I get it now. Our job is to fight until the Titans eat us! If I'm just gonna get torn apart anyway, I'd rather --

Daz pulls out one of his blades. Marco stops him from doing anything to himself.

Marco: Stop! Get a grip, man! It's not just you! Everyone is struggling with fear! Look at Sasha! Even after all she's been through, she's still steady.

Sasha: Ahhhh!! My stomach is killing me. May I go to the infirmary?

Daz: I can't take this!

Marco: Stop it!

Jean: Good thing we were sworn to secrecy.
Everything's already enough of a mess as it is.
If they found out about Eren...

An explosion can be heard coming from a distance.

Jean: Woah!

Reiner: Cannon fire?

Jean: But why just one shot?

Soldiers: Look, smoke! It's inside the wall!What's that? What's going on? Was the gate broken? That's the most fortified place! It can't be! Someone probably just dropped a cannonball. But then what's all that smoke?

Jean: Could it be steam from a Titan?

Reiner uses his 3DMG to hook onto a building and fly up.

Jean: H-Hey!

Annie and Bertholdt follow Reiner.

Jean: Hey!

Jean follows behind Reiner, Annie, and Bertholdt as they race toward the explosion.

Scene change Behind the wall where Eren, Mikasa, and Armin are cornered. Armin and Mikasa sit under the partially-formed Titan skeleton. Kitz, Rico, and the other soldiers stare in disbelief at the half-formed Titan. Jean, Reiner, Annie, and Bertholdt are standing on the roof of a building.

Reiner: What's going on down there?

Armin: Ah...

The bones of the half-formed Titan begin to crumble. The skull begins to move.

Soldier: It's alive!

Rico: Commanding Officer Woermann!

As the smoke clears, the eyeball of the Titan turns toward Kitz.