The Way Back

Somewhere in the field. Some of the Survey Corps members are on standby. Mikasa watches over Eren, who remains unconscious in a cart. Levi finds Petra's body. Jean and Armin load bodies into a cart.

Jean: This is the part I never get used to.

Armin: No one does.

Jean: How are my friends going to die? How am I going to die? It's all you can think about.

Armin: I try not to dwell on it. If I pictured how I'm going to die, I probably wouldn't be able to fight.

Jean: Yeah. You're right.

Connie and Sasha feed the horses.

Connie: How long will I stay alive?

Sasha: You're alive now, aren't you?

Connie: For now. I'm not like Eren that can probably come back from the died with his powers.

Sasha: Isn't that a good thing? You're alive. Plus if Eren can died and come back, maybe he can bring us back to life if we die.

Connie: Can you say that in front of the bodies of those who aren't? Ngh... I might not be able to go home anymore...

Sometime later, in the field. The collection of the dead has finished.

Peer: We're almost done. There were about five dead that we couldn't recover.

Erwin: Not even a part of them?

Peer; They're the only ones we couldn't due to the Titans. It's probably best for the families that we not bring those back.

Erwin: Say they're MIA.

Peer: Yes, sir. We saw several Titans near the forest, but none are headed this way as of yet.

Erwin: We're moving out now. Tell all the squads.

Peer: Yes, sir.

Dieter: I cannot accept this, Commander Erwin!

Peer: Hey, you...!

Dieter: We should recover them! Ivan's body was right in front of us!

Peer: There was a Titan right next to him! It could result in another casualty!

Dieter: If they attack, we can just defeat them!
Jurgen Ivan's an old friend. We're from the same town! I know his parents. If nothing else, I'd like to bring him home!

Peer: Don't be selfish!

Levi: Squabbling kids?

Peer: Lance Corporal Levi...

Levi: If you confirmed he's dead, that's enough.
Whether you have the body, dead is dead. It won't change anything.

Jurgen: No...

Erwin: We'll say Ivan and the others went missing. That's my final decision. Give it up.

Erwin and Levi walk off.

Dieter: Ahh... Don't the two of you... have any human feelings at all?!

Peer: Hey, Dieter! You're going too far!

Dieter: Ngh...

In the field. The Survey Corps is returning to the city with the dead.

Soldier: Ah... Titans!

Mikasa: Ah...

Dieter and Jurgen ride in front of the Titans with the body of Ivan.

Peer: That's... Dieter! That fool...