Part Two: Apologies and Memories Tie Together

When I woke up, the bright sun was blinding my tired eyes. Not my best morning to be honest. It took me a moment to remember where I had fallen asleep, I was in the stables. I felt a hairy nose nuzzle my face all over and I looked up to see a snowy white horse above me. I was focused on how beautiful she was, when I remembered last night.

The horse reminded me of Zero with her the paleness and seemingly bad temper. It was that horse that had escaped from the stables a few weeks ago and Zero was able to tame it; well that's not exactly surprising.

I stood up, pulling and shaking off all the straw stuck in my hair and uniform. I pulled out an elastic and tied my hair into a bun when I saw Zero. He was standing next to the horse, casually petting it. In a moment of panic, I quickly checked my neck for any bite marks. If he was here to bite me, I would definitely tell the Headmaster. I could only feel the small puncture wounds from Hanabusa. So I guess that's good, well, it's certainly better than bad.

Zero came up and placed a cold hand on my neck. I felt my heart stop almost suddenly at his touch, his eyes were still as hurt as they were last night.

"I'm sorry, Serena, for what I did to you." He spoke softly, trying avoid to avoid eye contact.

"Yeah. You should be. I can handle Vampires any day, but not my former best friend trying to kill me." I can't exactly say why I reacted like that, but I guess it's easier than showing him I was upset.

"For that, I feel terrible. I really do." It's not like you even care about me.

"Why are you even here?" I asked.

"I feed White Lily in the mornings." White Lily, huh? That's a pretty name.

White Lily continued nuzzling my face with her nose. I lightly brushed her off with a smile.

"She seems to like you too."

"I guess so. Does she have hidden fangs as well?" That was a really bad joke, Serena.

Zero's face went red and he was obviously really struggling to resist exploding. In reality, I really did want to piss off Zero seeing as to how he basically tried to kill me and now after four years, he was trying to reconnect.

Zero turned his face away and I could hear slight tears as he struggled to speak. "And yet, you ask me why I won't talk to you anymore, Serena."

Now I was angry with myself, it took a lot to make Zero cry and I had only ever seen him cry a few times. I walked up and wrapped my arms around him. I wasn't this type of person regularly, but I had to attempt to make him feel better, it was the human thing to do. And really, I wasn't actually scared of him, I just couldn't accept that he had left for too long and now I had gotten used to merely viewing him from a distance. It was an unfamiliar feeling being so close to him again.

I turned him around to face me and he closed his eyes and small tears started forming again. I wrapped my arms around him again and he returned my gesture and held me closer. I started remembering him hugging me just about every night after my father was killed. I would have continuous nightmares and he stayed with me for the first few months until I was finally able to sleep peacefully.

"Zero. I miss this." I confessed.

"Miss what?"

"When we were younger, when we still loved each other." I felt Zero hold me tighter and I struggled to breathe.

"Serena. Everything is too different now."

"I know and I hate it. Am I a bad person if I think Yuki's the reason you changed?" In all honesty though.