Part Twelve: The Past and Burning History

Walking through the streets, I started getting tight knots in my stomach. At the Headquarters, you would never guess what was there, until you actually saw it. And I was mainly focused on finding out who the Vampire was that killed my father. Even my mother didn't know and was still hunting to this day. All I remembered was a tall and beautiful woman with the eyes of a monster and hair of flowing snow.

"Are you all sure you really want to do this?"

"Don't worry, Headmaster. We understand what we're doing here."

"Zero, Serena? Is it really alright if we go there?"

"You want to see things with your own eyes, don't you Yuki?"

"To be honest, I'm more worried about Zero."

I felt the knots get tighter in my stomach and I squeezed Zero's hand and felt myself fall to the ground. He held me up, but I was still so dazed. Zero was a Vampire Hunter by blood, but he now he was a Vampire as well and I knew as well as he did that he wouldn't be welcomed easily. I shook off my dizziness and stood up with the help of Headmaster and Zero.

"Serrie, you don't have to be worried about me. They're not gonna kill me the second I walk in there."

"If you say so, Zero. But I still have a bad feeling about this."

"Serena, if you don't want to come then you don't have to."

"No! I have to come! I have to find out who the Vampire was! The Vampire that killed my father."

"I understand. It's alright, just stick by me."

We continued walking until Zero turned around and we saw Yagari walking behind us. Headmaster probably asked him to do this.

"Are you seriously following us? This isn't a parent-teacher conference! And we don't need supervision!"

"Zero, calm down. I asked Mr. Yagari to join us. There's no need for a big fuss."

Zero started walking away and dragged me along with him. Zero had always hated when so many people had to watch his every move. He would have preferred to live low-key and very private.

"Zero, are you alright? You do seem a bit aggressive today."

"No I'm not. I'm fine."

"Uh Zero? You're dragging me by the sleeve. You never do that and my arm is starting to hurt."

"Oh sorry, Serrie. I guess I'm just worried."

Zero released my arm and I felt a huge relief from the pain of being pulled along. But Zero was so close to me and yet so distant today.

"Worried? About what?"

"Just things I've been hearing in general."

**********

"Welcome to the Vampire Hunter Association's Headquarters."

All around the place were Vampire Hunters and they all looked on watching us. I knew for a fact that Hunters were born, not made but I had learned enough to know that they weren't taking too kindly to Zero's presence. Even Yuki, a Human, knew that something was adrift in the atmosphere.

"Don't worry, Yuki. It's not you they're staring at."

"Later." Yagari walked away from us without warning. I guess everyone was trying to avoid us these days.

"Where are you going?"

"Perhaps he has a girlfriend he would like to see." Zero and I eyed the Headmaster and he suddenly looked embarrassed.