Part Twenty Three: The Coming Darkness

"You both don't seem to believe it." Kaname said after searching our faces.

"You said you weren't siblings, but then Yuki says you are. So which is it?" Zero questioned.

"Yuki is the pureblood daughter of the Kuran family. Even Serena should have been able to sense it. However, you're both Vampire Hunters. The decision is yours."

He left the spot where he was, still carrying Yuki.

"No one knew, Zero. There's no way they knew."

"How can you be so sure?"

"There's some things I just know." I said.

Zero and I went back to the dorm, along the way, I smelled blood and lots of it. It didn't take a genius to figure out that a bloodbath would be happening.

In the meantime, Zero and I sat as I listened to his frustration with Yuki. I get it. It's not everyday that your friend turns out to be a Vampire.

But what I didn't get, was why? Why did this have to even happen in the first place?

"Wait, do you sense that Serrie?" He asked, suddenly.

"Uh no. Wait, its a Vampire. It's Yuki!" I shouted.

"Yes, it is. And you need to stop being so loud!"

There was movement behind the door, and well, Zero's first instinct was to kill. Not unexpected, but you know.

"Outside that door, I know there's a Vampire that really likes to mess with humans, it seems." He said.

"You're absolutely correct, Zero. The Yuki you once knew is forever gone, because the Vampire Yuki devoured her." It wasn't the usual Yuki I knew, that was for sure. But it was definitely her. She seemed different, in an older way. When she took a step forward, maybe to open the door, the both of us panicked for a moment.

"You take one step through that door, and I will kill you." Okay, so Zero was furious.

I  honestly thought she was going to come in anyways, but she didn't. She actually just ran away. And for a moment, I wondered if that really was Yuki. 

"Serrie, she's gone. She's really gone."

"You don't know that. She still came to see if you were alright. That means she still cares."

"No, the Yuki we once knew is dead. She's just another bloodsucker."  When he tried to stand up, he ended up falling back down and as I caught Zero, his eyes started glowing red. 

"Oh my god, Zero, are you alright?" He didn't respond though, instead he grabbed me by the throat and threw me down, hitting the hardwood floor.

"They've come to kill me." Was all he said, before he left me in the empty room. I chased after him, and there was the Headmaster and Yagari, and Zero, and he did not look so good. The glow in his eyes had intensified and it was as if blood was the only colour present in his irises. 

"Yagari! Headmaster! What's wrong with him?"

"What's wrong with me? What's wrong with them? They're the ones who were sent to kill me!"

"Now that's getting paranoid. Zero, you're literally going insane." Yagari and the Headmaster were able to restrain Zero as much as they could, and brought him to the dungeons.

"I will gladly kill a thousand Vampires, just not you." They told him. 

He sat in the darkness, with only the red glow being visible. The door was shut, and I began worrying. Why was he acting like that? I ran after the other two, climbing the stone stairs to the outside.

"Is he going to be alright?" I asked.

"More or less. You just need to be careful, Serena."

Walking through the night, almost morning, I separated myself into isolation so I could figure out what was happening, sitting atop the same building where metres below, Zero was in darkness. The smell of blood in the air was strong, although I didn't see anyone for a quite a distance. Watching the sunrise, I sat and thought. Mostly about Zero. But also about why this was all happening in the first place, and I just knew it had something to do with Kaname, because isn't that what it usually is?

Below me, there was a scream, louder than any I had ever heard and I knew this wasn't anywhere near over just yet.

I'll also show you a sweet dream.... Next night