Part Nine: Just The Usual Party

After class, our job was easily done and we then went back to Headmaster's dorm to have dinner. The meal was all well prepared and it seemed to be a very light-hearted hour. When we were leaving, I had already started down the hall with Yuki and Zero until the Headmaster called.

"Zero, can I see you in my office?"

"Sure Headmaster. Serena, do you mind waiting?"

"No not at all."

When the door shut, I hid behind it. I was entirely nosy sometimes, but I blamed my curiousity. I heard Yuki laugh behind me and walk away.

"Zero, this came in the mail for you. Directly from the Hunter's Association. They want you to monitor tonight's Vampire soiree at the Aido mansion."

"I understand Headmaster."

I heard Zero walking back to the door and I ran back into my original place. Obviously this was something Zero wouldn't want me to know about. But I was wondering, was the Association testing Zero? He opened the door and I stood waiting.

"Is everything alright, Zero?"

"Yeah, let's go."

"If you say so."

"Serena, what are you doing tomorrow evening?"

"Nothing special, why?"

"Because we have plans tomorrow."

"Where are we going?"

"The Hunter Association wants me to observe the Vampire party at the Aido mansion."

"And I'm coming?"

"If you'd like. I'm only saying this because I know you would be coming anyways. I can hear your footsteps." I looked away and blushed, embarrassed at myself. Was I that obvious?

"Sorry, but you have a nosy girlfriend."

"Sorry, but you have a boyfriend who looks after Vampires."

"But he does make the world a safer place."

"That's one way to think of it. Another way is that I get so emotionally attached to my own responsibilities, that I forget the other people I care about."

"But Zero, you do that to show you care. You're entirely selfless so maybe it might help if you could lighten up."

"Don't you think I would've tried that already?"

"Probably, and it obviously didn't work."

"No it did not."

We continued walking and through the whole night, I had the crazy urge to bring up Ichiru again. But I didn't.

"Oh I'm so excited for you, Serena!"

"Yuki, this is strictly business. Not a real date."

"I know, but still. It's just so romantic!"

"In what way?"

"Two lovers out on a dangerous mission and hoping to survive, never knowing when they might get their next moment together. It's all so forbidden love!"

Yuki was going out on one of her crazy ramblings again. It's funny how the friends are usually more excited for your relationship, where you really don't care all that much.

"Really Yuki? Really?"

"Don't tell me you don't see it too! You and Zero are like this never-ending spark of energy, with your tossing and turning. And you take it seriously when considering next steps. Who knows when you might even-"