Part Seven: Not The Best Of Reunions

It had been a whole month and everything seemed to be like it was before. And it wasn't. Yuki noticed it too, but she never said anything. She knew it bothered me. Just when I finally thought that it was all well between us, he gets taken away. And nobody even mentioned it.

As usual, I was helping Yuki on the Disciplinary Committee. Now I had to go on the nightly patrols as well. But now, I was a lot more scared of Vampires than I was before. Just the sight of Shizuka in my mind made me shake. And whatever happened to Ichiru?

Now, I spent most of my time with Yuki and Kaname. It wasn't all that bad I guess. Well, actually it was. Kaname would consistently get on my nerves with his rants on how Vampires are so respected and blah blah blah. I didn't care for Vampires. Only one.

"Everyone get back!"

"It's way past curfew. Go back to your dorms."

"Let's go move it!"

"Gosh Serena. You're scarier than Zero. At least he would actually remain calm for some period of time."

"Well, I'm not Zero! So leave!"

"Serena. Calm down. You're attracting a crowd."

"Yuki, how can I remain calm? It's been a month already and everytime someone mentions him, it annoys me!"

"Hey Sasaki-san!"

I groaned and turned around to Hanabusa. Ever since Zero disappeared, he started taking an interest in me. I found Hanabusa alright. But I didn't really return his affections. But I did try to be nice though. And it was kind of interesting to me that someone else liked me. Someone besides Zero.

"Hello Hanabusa."

"You seem to be a little off today. If you're feeling a little emotional I'm always here."

"No thanks. I think I'm stable."

"Oh and I brought you a rose."

Hanabusa handed me a rose of the brightest shade of red possible. But it also reminded me of the freshest spill of blood. I swallowed down my fear and thanked him. It was very beautiful and certainly a nice gesture.

"It's very beautiful. Where did you find it?"

"Next to the area where the cherry blossoms are."

"Oh. Well thank you again."

"No problem, Sasaki-san."

Hanabusa put his hand to my hair and cradled a thin strand. My hair was very long and eventually I would probably have to cut it. Maybe before the summer. He then took my hand and kissed it gently. In a near second, someone had grabbed Hanabusa and held him with a firm grip. I spun around and saw him. It was Zero.

"Hanabusa, what are you doing?"

"Zero, he wasn't going to hurt me."

"Are you sure?"

"You know Zero, for someone that's been missing for such a long time, you really should be nicer. It might just do you some good."

Zero let go of Hanabusa and while I thought he might try to leave him alone, he didn't. He slapped him across the face and walked away. Ruka came from behind and so did Takuma.

"So I guess there's now two girls that are untouchable."

"Was all this really worth the slap?"

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! I'm fine."

"I'm so sorry, Hanabusa."

I ran after Zero, up the road ahead and stopped in front of him.

"Zero Kiryu. You've been gone for a month and you're forgetting something."