2.4 morning

[Hunter's POV]

I didn't really sleep that night. I know that all the others did, except for Luz. I've noticed that she was awake for some time, then she feel asleep but woke up again. Looks like she couldn't really sleep either.

I was never one to sleep easily. Without feeling absolutely save, I can't sleep.

I couldn't sleep, but I was happy for the others. I kept hearing those voices, but hearing their calm breathing kept me from loosing in to the voices in my head. Especially for Gus, he cuddled up to me and I kept hugging him. I don't know, he's my friend, and still it feels different. It reminds me of something Edric told me. With everything that happened, I tried my best to keep my mind of that. So...I thought about Edric to keep my thoughts positive.

"You know, Em and Mittens...I'll always be there for them. It's...this feeling. Just wanting them to be happy. And I'd do everything to keep them happy. No matter what. Yes, we fight and mock each other, but I know we'll always have each others backs. They won't need me forever, and especially don't want me to always stick around with them." He laughs quietly while looking into the dark sky. "They are strong and don't want to relay on me helping them, they are fine on their own. But until the day they are truely happy, I will always protect and support them. Even if it means to let them go on that day and be alone, I'm fine with that. So, as long as I have my sisters-" He smiles at me, softly. "That's all the family I'll ever need."

When he told me this, I looked at him in awe. Originally, I asked him about his family. He didn't talked much about them.

Now that I think about it, I should've been more persistent on that topic. I wanted to know more, I wanted to understand him, just how he understands me.

You're terrible. He always took care of you and your feelings. And you never even bothered to listen to him.

However, he looked so hurt talking about his parents, I didn't wanted to force him in telling me more.

I asked him if he'd be happier without them, after talking about his father and how loving he was, but slowly distanced from them, and his mother, he absolutely resented for how she treated Amity and Emira, he said that about his sisters.

The way he talked about his sisters really touched me. Like he said, they always mock and make fun of eachother. I thought they hated each other, I didn't understand that they did all of this in a loving way.
I wish I had siblings my self.

And that's when I remember Edric's words the evening before the Day of Unity. He told me I can consider people important to me my family. Can I really just do that? Pick out my family?

You'll always be alone. Why bother?

I wish I could talk to him. Hear his voice. See those sparkling eyes and hear that dorky chuckle. I miss him so much.

I take a short look at Gus, still sleeping in my arms. After a while I sigh quietly and that's when I notice someone moving. A little suprised I look up to see Luz sitting on her matraze. She takes a short look over to me before standing up and leaving the room. Careful to not wake Gus, I take his arms away from me, I stand up and follow Luz out of the room. Quietly, I walk down the stairs and I find Luz in the living room, sitting on the couch.

"Luz?" I ask quietly and walk over to the couch, I sit down beside her still looking at her.

"Can't sleep either, huh?" I hear her ask as she leans back on the couch.

"I'm not a good sleeper." I simply say and she huffs quietly.

"Yeah, I know. Those kind of eyebags don't appear out of thin air, ahahaha." She laughs, even though her laugh gets quieter to the end.