the beginning

I wipe the sweat off my brow as I place the last box of my stuff on my new bedroom. Another new house. Another step dad. A 'fresh' start. As if. It'll go wrong again.

"Hey Cait, need some help?" My brother, Daniel pops his head round the door.

"Umm, can you help me with my wardrobe?" I ask with a goofy smile. He nods his head and continues to rip open one of the boxes and take some of my clothes out and put them in the wardrobe.

"How you feeling about new school tomorrow?" He asks.

"Nothing less than shitting myself." I laugh nervously as I start to sort out my desk.

"It won't be that bad." He reassures me. I fake laugh.

"Yeah right. I hate being the new girl."

"It's ok. At least you're not starting a new job tomorrow."
We talk for a little longer and we eventually finish everything. I hang up the last picture on the wall and smile at it. It's a picture of me, Daniel and my dad when he took us fishing. A year ago. A different time.
I stop thinking about it and go downstairs and see my new stepdad hugging and kissing my mum.

"Get a room." I laugh as I sit at the kitchen island.

"Oh sorry baby." My mum addresses me with a red blush on her face.

"Want me to order some dinner? I'm really craving pizza." I beg them. They share a look and agree. I order everyone what they want and we all wait in the living room, just talking about my new school and everything coming up. The pizza comes and we have a fairly chilled first night in the new house.
'A fresh start'. My mum's words echo in my head.

-

My alarm goes off at 6:45 the next morning and I slam it quiet with my hand. I sit up and stretch and dread my new school. I get ready, putting on my new uniform and my ugly ass shoes with my Louis Vuitton backpack holding all my equipment. I run downstairs, grab some breakfast and lunch and hear the bus outside.

"Honey!" I hear my mum call behind me. I look at her. She waves and blows a kiss to me. "Have a nice day!"

"I won't!" I salute to her as I jump onto the bus. Suddenly, I feel everyone's eyes on me. I sit down at the back where there is only another girl with blonde hair sitting there. We share a brief smile and I stuff my earphones into my ears before looking out the window for the rest of the ride.