new school

I walk around the hallways, staring down at my timetable as I try to figure out where my first class is.
"A15...science class, where are you?" I mumble to myself.

"Need some help?" A screechy voice startles me and makes me drop my piece of paper onto the floor.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. I'm Andrea." She holds out her hand for me to shake and I nervously accept.

"I'm Cait, the new girl." I smile shyly at her.

"I figured. Come on, you're in my science class. A15, right?" I nod my head and she links her arm in mine, taking me to our class. I look at her and notice how naturally pretty she is. Brown hair with lots of volume, freckles across her cheeks and nose, black eyes and tanned skin. She opens the door to the class and everyone stares at us as we walk in. I suddenly feel very insecure and go to sit down.

"Everyone we have a new student joining us today. Please give a warm welcome to Caitlin Jones." The teacher points to me at the back of the class.

"It's Cait." I say quietly.

"Sorry?"

"It's Cait. No one calls me Caitlin." She continues with the class and no one really pays any kind of attention to me but I'm really not complaining, I'd rather be invisible at this point.

"Right, everyone needs to pick a partner for this activity." The teacher announces. My eyes widen but I don't move. I see Andrea already has a partner so I'm gonna be stuck with a stranger. I feel a presence next to me as I see the blonde girl from the bus.

"Hey." She greets me. "I'm Lexi, nice to meet you." She says with a smirk.

"Cait." I shake her hand. The teacher lets us get on with it and we start to talk.

"So where'd you move here from?" She asks me.

"From Bristol, moved here because my mum remarried for the third time." I say, writing down some notes from the board.

"Bristol's cool. South London is a shithole, why move here?"

"Exactly what I said but my mum insisted since he already has a nice house so there's no need to buy another one. Can't argue with her anymore, I just leave her be."

"That's fair enough." We talk for the rest of the class and the rest of the day.

I follow her around the canteen while she looks for her friends. She sits down with a few boys and one other girl.

"Guys this is Cait. She started today so be nice to her." She orders them. I sit down and smile at them.

"Hey Cait." A blonde boy opposite me greets me. "I'm Harrison, but you can call me Haz."

"Haz? What kind of nickname is that?" I joke as I chew on the stale crisps given to me.

"Thank you! I'm not the only one who thinks it's weird!" The other girl chips in. "I'm Tia." The ginger girl smiles at me.

"Tia, no one asked for your opinion!" Haz shouts at her, throwing a crisp at her head. I learned the other boys' names, James, Oliver and Tom. James is an idiot, very nice and always hyper for some reason. Oliver is quiet but more comfortable when you get to know him and Tom is shy but a very nice guy. I find out that they all live in the same neighbourhood as me and we all agree to wait after school to walk home together.