shit hits the fan

The screaming continued and eventually woke up my brother and caused some more screaming. I eventually couldn't take it anymore and ran out the front door, slamming it shut behind me. I sit on the wall outside, cradling my knees to my chest. Given it's the middle of the night, I instantly flinch when I hear a door shut and footsteps towards me from the house opposite.

"Darling, are you alright?" I hear a soft voice calling me. It's Tom's mum. I just smile and nod my head at her. "Why are you out here? It's 4am."

"I know but I just can't take it in there anymore." I said through tears.

"Is the shouting scaring you?" She asks me and I nod my head. She holds both of my hands and ushers me down from the wall, wraps an arm around my shoulder and takes me back to the Holland household. Nikki wraps a blanket around my shoulders as my whole body starts to shake.

"Love, is everything ok?" Nikki asks me in a sweet tone.

"Can you do me a favour?" I ask her and she nods her head. "Can you go get Tom from next door?"

Tom's POV
I joined in on the shouting, fighting for Caitlin when she ran out the house as her mum started saying shit. A loud bang on the door came and Caity's brother answered the door and revealed...my mum?

"Hi, is Tom here?" She whispers.

"Mum, what's wrong?" I ask her.

"Caitlin needs you." She says firmly. I immediately run out the door and back to my house. I see Caity, sitting on the sofa in my living room, shaking and crying. I can barely hear her breathing.

"Caity? Is everything ok?" I ask her. She sees me and starts to cry more. I join her on the sofa and hug her, as she pushes her face into my chest. "What's wrong, darling?"

"I-I think I'm h-having a p-panic attack." She manages to say. I instantly cradle her body closer as she tries to steady her breathing.

"It's gonna be okay, baby. Just breathe for me. Please." I coddle her. After some time, she falls asleep in my lap. My mum comes into the room shortly after Caitlin fell asleep.

"How did you know Caitlin was outside?" I ask her quietly.

"The shouting woke me up anyway and I knew you were there so I was coming over to check on everyone when I saw her." She explains. "What happened?"

I explain the whole situation to my mum as she takes in everything carefully.

"She's not going to go back for a while." I say, jokingly.

"She's welcome for as long as she wants. I don't want her couch surfing." My mum says sternly.

"Don't worry, I won't let her." I start to stroke her hair as she sleeps peacefully. A knock at the door startles me and mum as she tiptoes over to the front door to see who's there. I instantly recognise Daniel's voice and release a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Alright, mate." He greets me with an apologetic smile. I shush him slightly and point out his sleeping sister. He mouths to me that he needs to talk to me and I gently slip out from underneath Caitlin and follow him out to the hall.

"Is everything okay?" I ask him.

"No, not really. My mum has gone officially mental." He says.

"Why, what's happened now?"

"She started screaming after you left and now she's threatening both men in the house with my dad's old gun. I managed to slip out as your mum left the front door open." He explains.

"Shit. Should we call the police?" I ask him.

"Yeah, that's why I came here."

We inform my mum and she calls the police herself. They get here within five minutes and we see Caitlin's mum get taken away as both the men talk in the doorway of their house. Caitlin is still asleep and we know she's going to be livid when she finds out.