Track

I stayed at the starting line, waiting for them to say the words. Sweat dripped down my forehead as I watched my opponents prepare them selfs.

The crowd was quiet. It was the last race of my high school track meet. As the coach yelled "READY, SET, GO!" I sped off hitting my feet on the track with force. I knew my best friend, Shawn, was waiting at the end of the finish line. I couldn't let him down I had to win this race.

I was coming in 3rd when I managed to catch up to the second. I was the tallest so my longer legs was an advantage. I quickly picked up my pace passing her and struggled to catch up to 1st. Damn she was fast... We were so close to the finish line.

I was getting so tired but I pushed through it and ran faster. I finally caught up and I was in the lead. I could almost reach the crossing line. As I sped up to keep my place my legs started giving out. I could already see Shawn at the finish line and he was so excited.

As I stepped over the crossing line I collapsed. I had won, but I needed to catch my breath. Shawn ran up to me and spun me around. "CONGRATULATIONS, YOU WON!" He said with excitement. I forced a smile as he set me down.

"What wrong princess?" Shawn said with worry in his eyes. "Nothing I'm fine, I just got tired." I said hugging him. I was so glad it was over. "Oh ok. Hey, I have something to ask you." He said rubbing the back of his neck.

"What is it?" I said as I drank some water. "I know this is weird timing and everything but I was wondering if maybe..." He started blushing. "Go on..." I motioned him to finish his sentence. "If maybe you'd like to be my girlfriend?" His cheeks were bright red and he had a hoping look in his eye.

"Of course Shawn! I thought you'd never ask" I jumped in his arms and hugged him.
He hugged me and whispered. "I've loved you for such a long time."