Chapter 6: Hot chocolate

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

I was rummaging through the cupboards, under the sink and every place I could. I wasn't particularly hungry nor thirsty I just wanted to make sure that everything was clear. Cry sat on the sofa in front of the fireplace examining the shot gun I had found.

I climbed onto the counter so I could look on top of the fridge "oh my God" I said, Cry glanced back at me "what did you find?" he asked. I reached up on top of the fridge grasping a plastic tub, hopping off the counter I help it up for him to see "I found chocolate powder!" I squealed.

We boiled some water, grabbed some mugs (which were still there, when you're running away from zombies I think cups and dishes would be the last of your worries) added the chocolate power and then the steaming water. And presto! Hot chocolate.

I sat back on the sofa with a sigh "it's almost like hell isn't going on outside" I mumbled, Cry nodded in agreement. I blew the steam off the chocolate and then took a sip, not like mum made it but still good.

We talked about simple things while we drank our hot chocolate, things like stupid things we did as kid. Apparently once Cry climbed a tree when he was 4, he had made eagle wings out of cardboard and paper. He thought he would be able to fly, Cry jumped out the tree and broke his leg.

It didn't take long before we finished our hot chocolate, since there was plenty of powder left I stuffed it in my backpack in case we wanted some later. Cry was going to teach me how to shoot the shotgun now, no walkers seemed to be around and the houses were close enough in case we needed to take cover.

He taught me how to position it and now it was how to shoot "okay, shoot a little lower then you thought you should because the backfire we cause the gun to rise okay?" I nodded doing as told, I missed.

Cry hummed trying to see my problem "okay, you can close one eye since you're looking down your arm. If you have a pistol keep both eyes open but this is a shotgun, so feel free to close an eye" he instructed.

Once again I did as told, and this time I managed to shoot the bottle he had lined up on top of a broken down car. I grinned at my victory, shooting and shattering a few more bottles to prove it wasn't a fluke.

Then it was time to move up a level, a moving target. A walked in the distance who had heard the shots was approaching. I aimed and shot, he was coming straight for us so it was easier to shoot.

Another came this time Cry decided to put his life in my hands "I'll distract it so you can shoot it from the side, a harder target" I shot him an unsure glance "it'll be fine, trust me" he grinned.

I sighed but allowed him to do this stupid thing. The female walker was walking towards Cry who was yelling and waving his arms in front of the house like a loony. It caught the walkers attention and I got a side view.

Looking over the barrel of the gun I pointed at the walkers head, from this distance it will hit centre temple perfectly, well if the shotgun had just one bullet instead of a bunch of shrapnel.

I squeezed the trigger and just like I calculated, the walker fell dead many holes in the side of it's head. Cry ran over patting me on the shoulder "you did good, friend" I thanked him and handed over the shotgun.

Though I knew how to shoot now doesn't mean the weight got any easier, he chuckled as I rolled my aching arms. The sun was beginning too set at this point so we headed inside, it's not safe to be out at night. We did know quite a lot about each other but technically we couldn't say we were close so we would sleep in separate rooms.

But for safety precautions we would sleep next door to each other, so we would be able to hear if the other person was in trouble. Cry decided to head to bed early, I heard his door open and then close.

I simply sat there staring into the fireplace, before I sighed. Reaching into my pocket I took out my phone, it had about 2% battery life left, which was pretty impressive since it's gone a few days without needing to charge. I suppose that's because I rationed it's use.

Turning my phone on I was met with the lock screen, the picture I had saved as my background was one I had taken with my parents. I was in the middle, my mum at one side and my dad at the other. I had an arm slung over either one's shoulder.

I stared at the picture, occasionally having to turn the phone back on after it went dark from me not touching it. Soon the phone turned off completely, out of battery.

I leaned my head back dropping my phone onto the couch "mum, dad...where are you?".