Chapter 23: Surprise Mother Fu--

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

Sunrise. The heavy smell of smoke. The soft sound of breathing. A quiet morning, something we didn't get often. I hadn't slept in two days, and it was beginning to take it's toll on me. I breathed heavily, sweat forming on my forehead.

My head pounded, leaning my head forward I rested them in my hands. Squeezing my eyes closed and letting out a quiet groan as I tried to ignore the pain. "Hey, you okay?" came a whisper, I glanced up between my fingers - of course, it was Cry.

I sent him a reassuring smile and pinched the bridge of my nose "yeah, just a head ache" I replied quietly, so as not to wake up the others. He stood up from his position opposite me, tiptoeing around the sleeping bodies to squat down in front of me. He wrapped his fingers around my wrists gently, pulling my hands away from my face.

I gulped as I watched him, letting move my hands as he pleased. He released only one of my wrists, lifting his hand to press the back against my forehead. The mask covering his features shifted slightly as he clenched his jaw, he shifted closer.

I could hear his breathing against his mask, I let out a shaky breath as I glanced between the small dotted eyes of the mask - and his lips that were displayed under his mask. "You're burning up" he whispered.

His breath tickled my lips as my heart hammered in my chest, my chest tightened as my stomach fluttered. I parted my lips as though I was going to say something, quickly closing them again, just as he was about to inch closer there was a meek voice "u-um...".

Cry released my wrist, reeling his hand away from my forehead as he jumped back. Cole stood to the side, glancing away and rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly "S-sorry to interrupt but-- the fire's going out. We won't be safe for long".

I bit back the heat in my cheeks and looked over Cry's shoulder at the quickly dying out, charred forest. Smoke was coming out slightly slower than before, and the flames could barely be seen. I was surprised that it was going out, so quickly.

We nodded "we should all get a move on anyways, staying out in the open for so long isn't a good idea" I said as I cleared my throat, rising to stand. I glanced at Cry from the corner of my eye, he had pulled his mask over his mouth and was running his hands through his hair.

I bit the inside of my lip and shook my head, stepping over Mark's snoring body. "We should wake everyone up, loot the cars and then get moving", I nodded to Cole. Cry letting out a grunt as he rose to his feet, clapping his hands together lightly to clear them of dust.

So - we went around, shaking the others awake and telling them our plan to loot the vehicles and then move out. Soon enough everyone was awake, stretching and yawning. "All right, everyone be on highest alert and we'll loot these vehicles. If some have full tanks of gas and can be driven then be sure to inform the rest of us. We can't go on foot all the way to wherever we're going".

Exchanging nods, we turned on our heels and headed to individual cars. I walked up to a battered Volvo, peaking into the shattered window. The keys were in the ignition and there was no sign of a walker inside, unlocking the door through the window. I pulled the door open.

Leaning over, I gripped the key and turned it. Nothing - not even the scratching sound as the engine tried to ignite. It was dead, I slumped my shoulders in defeat - yet moved on to rummage through the glove compartments.

Pulling out some useless bills and other things, I gripped the sheen coated paper of a map. Pulling it out of the compartment, I stood up straight. Unfolding the map, my eyes travelled up to the corner. It was a map of the area.

"Score" I whispered to myself, folding the map back into a rectangle carefully, I stuffed it in the side compartment of my backpack.

There was nothing else of interest inside the vehicle, grabbing the keys, I pulled them out of the ignition and walked around the car. The glass of the shattered window cracking under my feet, scraping against the cement road.

I stopped - facing the boot, inserting the key I turned it. Leaving the key in the lock, I gripped the handle just above the rusted license plate. Hearing a click as it unlatched, I pushed the hood up. A weight thrust itself at my chest, as I was caught off guard, I was knocked onto my back.

My eyes were wide as the wind was knocked out of me, a girl. Her hair matted and knotted, her skin held a translucent appearance, tinted blue. Her cheeks were hollowed - a clear sheen over my blood hungry orbs.

Her mouth stretched open, preparing to take a chunk out of me. My hands instinctively dove forward, gripping her shoulders as I attempted to push her off. Her hands were bound tightly, the skin had ripped open from the tight plastic around her arms.

With her hands bound, I didn't need to be too worried about her scratching me. I could feel her bones beneath my hands, stuffed in that boot. Her hands bound, her bones clearly visible. She had been kidnapped, and left in that boot to die. I couldn't tell if she died of starvation or from lack of oxygen first.

I clenched my jaw as she did her best to push against my hands, to reach for the slightest morsel of flesh she could. Just for a taste of a living creature, I letting out a loud grunt as I fought against her. "(Y/N)!" there came worried cries.

Her jaws snapped open and closed as she tried to bite me, there was a sudden ear bursting sound of a gun going off. All her weight dropped onto my hands, dark brown oxygenated blood splattered across my face.

She fell limp in my arms, her weight too much for my shaky arms to handle. The walker collapsed ontop of me, I let out a frustrated growl and pushed her off of me. Her limp body rolled to the side, I shuffled back quickly.

Panting heavily as I kicked myself away from the dead body. I wiped the sweat off of the top of my lip with the back of my sleeve. Wiping a few drops of blood off of my face, my wide eyes looked off to the side.

Who had been holding the gun? Someone I had never expected to save me.